Lampson reels yup they've had a few problems with the LP series, actualy it was the ratchet wheel for the anti reverse. As a dealer and repairmen I sold a lot of em and fixed a few as they came along. But then I have also fixed Bauer, Ross, Able, Cortland, SA, Finor, Shakespere, Martin, Orvis, Tibor and well you get the idea. What do I fish with 80% of the time, Lamson. Both the older LPs and the Water works ULA and Volcity. The biggest problems I see discussed about Water works conical drag set ups is simply operator error. It is a sealed unit and so does requir the owner to understand that its not your usual drag set up and does not tolerate over mantinence. One drop of oil down the the spool tube, and the drag just goes away. Water down the tube and funny things begin to happen. How do I know, simple I test them to find out. Frankely the less you do to the drag the better it works. As with any fishing reel, fly or other wise I recomend that the drag be backed off at the end of the day. Heck I need to relax at the end of the day too. Haveing sold them (Volcitys) sents they came out some years ago. Im still waiting for the first customer to have a problem. Outside of dropping one of course. Should you decide to go with a Water Works reels please feel free to contact me and ask, "So what are the dos and donts to have a long and happy time with this reel." Ill be glad to answer your questions.

------------------
Captn. Paul Darby