+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod considerations

Default Rod considerations

What do you consider most important when you buy a new rod? Look at this list. Any additions? Which is most important to you?

Bob

Default Re: Rod considerations

Bob:

Nothing is missing from your list in regards to my criteria although that order isn't my order.

First criteria for me is length & weight. I need to decide what I'm after first.

After that it's all about feel followed by appearance. If I can't get past those two nothing else really matters to me.

I tend to do it a different way.

FUNCTION (Intended Use)
    Target species (trout, smallies, tarpon, bones etc etc): .
    Style of fishing (dry fly, nymphing, spey, streamers latter would salt, former might include bass bugs)
    Fly Size (22s or 2/0s)
    Type of Water/Casting Range (Wide rivers, small streams lakes Spey riversetc).

Sifting these things together will giveyou a pretty good approximation of what tool to use.
    Then go and cast rods in your target range.
    And you'll buy a Sage
    LMAO

Actually most of the major rod companies are that good that the reputation thing isn't an issue, even the ones I don't sell
    Peer/Pro recommendations are helpful for sifting out that selection of rods to cast, but they don't take into account that individualism that makes one rod fit me and another fit you the best.

Without being critical of you Bob, that Function list included in your post, is all fine points to consider when discussing rods on bulletin boards, as a means of comparison. ERN and so on is a merely a means of describing what a rod does. At the end of the day, a rod is a tool to fish, you want the tool to do the job so look at fishing you'll be doing, sift out your selection then go cast.

Casting the rods is the best way to determine whther you and your dollars will be parted
    cheers
    Steve

Good points. I should add the following:

* Function (practical - type of use - intended purpose of use) - size of fly, size of river, normal casting distance, type of fish or type of fishing.

and

* Warrenty

Anything else?

Bob

Bob,

I'm with Steve on this one.

The intended function of the rod is by far the most important.

For me, that has little or nothing to do with the 'cast' but how it works the fly. I never want to cast a rod, I want to see how it bends and how it twitches, and how much backbone it has.

I'm usually looking for specific actions and lengths that will let me perform a certain technique to better advantage.

But I'm primarily a bass fisherman. For trout, this is less important.

I build my own rods, I'm looking at blanks, so price, warranty, and appearence are not issues for me.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I build rods for myself and for sale to selected friends or associates. I have found these factors all are part of the rod selection process in the following order most of the time:

Function - size, weight, fish, lake/river/spring creek, etc.

Feel - medium, med - fast, fast, etc.

Blank choice - This is a combination of cost or price and reputation and image,.

Appearance - components (grip, reel seat, guides, etc) also influenced by cost.

It seems the cost and reputation factors are more a part of the blank choice and appearance, a bit different than buying a factory assembled rod where you are looking at the total price.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

How's this?

Bob

Then too are these. Snobbishness. How much above others do I want to be elevated? How do I want to be perceived? Pride of ownership counts for a lot. 'Show & Tell'; better the rod, the better the advantage. Sense of fulfillment of ownership. Texture of the rod, tactile sensation reward. The 'warm & fuzzy' feeling of spending money on something for ourself, dopamine. I am sure there other reasons too, like usage etc.

Gotta agree that JC is becoming more and more right, As per the sticker prices of "Factory Rods" These days....To get what "I" really want out of a Rod..I gotta buy everything and build it myself.....And try my best to keep the price to the bare bones...Without sacrficing quality!...Now if REC Componets could just lower their prices of reel seat's!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

lol,,, however, I have known the folks at REC for a good number of years, and darn it, those seats sure are nice,,,

+ Reply to Thread