+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Question (kind of long winded)...

Justice League Guest

Default Re: Etiquette Question (kind of long winded)...

Ok my 3 cents

My friend is the worst caster I have ever seen he has never read a book or watched anyone fly fish he just picked up the rod and taught himself. That being said he is the best fisherman I have ever fished with. He tries the most old ball things and catches fish and here I am trying to figure everything out and before I can tie on a fly he has caught 3 or 4 fish it drives me crazy. He can also be competive at times which really does not bother me (what I am really saying is that I would like to fill his waders full of lead and watch him step off into a deep hole). He always offers advise even if I do not ask or need it. The thing is we fish together going out with him is part of it. I remember one day when we went bass fishing and I do not think we said two words to each other all day and we were in the same boat (that was one of the best days of my life).

You see my friend and I have a bond that has lead us through a lot: a divorce, we both lost our dads, and watching Flordia beat FSU (I cried that day). Fishing is just a side bar we are together and because of busy lives that does not happen much or we are constanlly being interupted by something. Fishing is the escape for us we always talk about it because I think if we talked about anything else we would breakdown. Finally when we are fishing however everything comes out.

Ok I know that was pure cheese but it had to be said.

Have to go Dr Phil is new

Jason
    Fish And Live

I have learned to only help people if they ask.

As a guide I am confronted with this all the time. Many of the fishermen who all of us guides deal with are, at best, mediocure casters. Many are down right bad, real bad. Some of them want help, others do not. When we do get to guide someone who can cast it is a treat.

One thing that you are very right about is that once a bad casting form is developed it is very hard to break those habbits. On the other hand, as others have said, if your buddy is having fun and does not seem to care, just let it go. Having said that here is a way that I sometimes offer help. Point out a rising fish, or a spot that requires a good cast, and suggest that your friend go for it. After he tries and messes up just say something like, let me try. If you make the cast your buddy just may get the hint and ask what you did differently from him.

FWIW, fly fishing is supposed to be fun, but if you can not cast well, or are not getting any better, then the fun often turns into frustration. Ask any guide and he will tell you how often a day that should have been fun is turned into a frustrating day mainly from not being able to cast.

In your situation, Don't say a word. He'll ask if he thinks you can give him a pointer, otherwise he doesn't think he needs one.

If you want to do something special and a bit sneaky...just invite him along to a local casting clinic. (lots of clubs offer them) All you have to say is that you found you got a lot out of them and there was one coming up and you wanted to go. You thought he might like to tag along. etc.

Otherwise, relish the fact that by putting in the time that you are, you will exceed his skills sooner or later. It's the same as the person who has four or five years of fly fishing 200 days a year and comparing them to the old codger that has been fly fishing for 30 years five days a summer. Who's most likely to be the better angler? It's the time spent doing that makes one a better fly fisher...not the number of years one talks about it.

Some day your buddy will notice that you are getting way more fish and better fish...then he might start asking for your input.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Christmas is coming. A gift certificate for a casting lesson from a local flyshop might help out all three of us.

Joseph

Did he 'share' the tips he got from his guide? No?,,, Well, there ya are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEWINGOLIVE
    Christmas is coming. A gift certificate for a casting lesson from a local flyshop might help out all three of us.

Joseph

Now that was subtle as all get out
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

A lifetime of experience has taught me that some opinions and attempts to "help" are best left INSIDE ones' gum line. Some here may dispute that. At least as it applies to ME.

Mark

Thanks again for all the great replies! BlueWingOlive, are you Joe from One More Cast? If so, I just got a lesson from you a couple months ago (I was the guy who just had a baby the day before). The gift certificate actually sounds like a pretty good idea - then I can keep my mouth shut and he can still benefit! Christmas is coming, so I'll give that some more thought!

Not to stroke Joe's ego too much, but anyone in the Chicago area interested in lessons (or just a great local fly shop), I highly recommend Joe and One More Cast in Countryside, IL. He's a great teacher.

*blush* yeah, it's me.

How's the baby?

Joseph

+ Reply to Thread