+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo rod question

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Default Bamboo rod question

I have a question for you Bamboo afficianados, but first some background....I recently decided it's time to start using an Orvis Madison bamboo rod that my father left me after he died. I normally use a 4 wt, 7'6" Loomis GL3. When I tried out the Orvis the other day it seem very whippy to me compared to the graphite rods I own (Orvis is a 5/6 wt 7'6"). Is it my imagination? Is there some other casting technique used for bamboo? I am using a Hardy WFF5 line. Should I be overlining, underlining it? Any suggestions?

Default Re: Bamboo rod question

Its a slow rod as many older Orvis rods are. Nothing in the graphite arena will come close to it in weight, feel or action.

While many may suggest underlining it; the mass and weight of bamboo will still make it feel a lot slower than you are used to. If it feels slow just waggling it; underlining wont help.

I would stick with the suggested line weight and learn to slow down and adjust your casting stroke to accommodate the rod action. Timing is EVERYTHING and I find that less wrist and more arm help me with my slow rod arsenal.

You may just learn to love the sweet pleasures of a slow action rod or you will hate it but it is what it is and YOU have to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    Its a slow rod as many older Orvis rods are. Nothing in the graphite arena will come close to it in weight, feel or action.

While many may suggest underlining it; the mass and weight of bamboo will still make it feel a lot slower than you are used to. If it feels slow just waggling it; underlining wont help.

I would stick with the suggested line weight and learn to slow down and adjust your casting stroke to accommodate the rod action. Timing is EVERYTHING and I find that less wrist and more arm help me with my slow rod arsenal.

You may just learn to love the sweet pleasures of a slow action rod or you will hate it but it is what it is and YOU have to adjust.

What he said.

Good post Bam

What Bam said exactly....
    You may find another line will feel a little better on this rod but Bamboo is never going to feel like the graphite rods you are probably used to. Esp. the older slower models..
    I have learned to really enjoy fishing Bamboo. I find I them more accurate...but finally realized I am more accurate because I make slower and fewer casts because I can take the time to make a better cast when I slow down and really think about making a good accurate cast...if this makes any sense...

Bill A

I have come to believe I have no casting style at all. Recently I had to test a new super-fast fly line. I choose a custom made quad cane 6 weight rod. During testing and evaluation there were no problems. However, during fishing the line and rod combo just merged and disappeared in my hand.
    This is a very unusual condition, highly sought, seldom found. The fast tip and slick line made presentation a joy at any distance and effortless casting at any distance a joy.

JC,

That is the best description I have ever read that really describes the feel you get when fishing a bamboo rod! Thanks for posting it. I have tried many times to describe to others the feel bamboo has and have not been too successful, but, you have "nailed" it sir! Thank you
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Had you been using a slower graphite like an older Orvis Superfine. The bamboo wouldn't have felt so foreign.

As it is, the Loomis and bamboo are on opposite ends of the scale.

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Thanks everyone for the advise. I will slow down and enjoy the ride!

With a number of Orvis bamboo fly rods in the rod racks, the rule of thumb for Orvis bamboo seems to be to fish one line size lighter. The #8 - 8' always has been fished with a WF 7 F or WF 7 ST unless throwing really big deer hair flys to bass. The #5/6 - 6 1/2' is usually fished with a WF-4 -F now, before a WF 5 F & when new the WF-6-F. While another 6 1/2' with a #5/6 line designation is so much better with a #3 DT or the WF-4-F. With an Orvis 8' superfine graphite rated for a #7, casting with a #5,6,7 or 8 weight flyline works with the rod; but the bamboo isn't quite that versatile unless you learned to cast with bamboo first & then it sometimes becomes more work than relaxation while fishing in getting the timing perfected for the distance you are generally casting; or if you are fishing within 45 feet go down a line size !

Quote Originally Posted by PAangler
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I will slow down and enjoy the ride!
    PA,
    I'm fairly recent to bamboo's by 4-5 years so I'm going at this with minimal experience.

What I've found with rods such as yours is that the best you can do to help get the most out of a rod like this would be to try to stop the rod noticably higher on both forward and back casts. The limberness (if that's a word...) in the rod itself is what some really like and stopping it this way will help with your loops.

It's funny, this bamboo thing and for the serious, wonderful. They're all so different in so many ways. I'm a Sage guy, or I "was"...and I never thought I'd take to a bamboo.

I have been surprised!

Good luck with your rod. Don't hurry things, you may never really get a liking for it. If you do, great. If not, then you've been given a chance to try something your dad maybe liked or at least owned. There's a feeling there and an appreciation that only you will know.

If you decide to stick it in the closet, no sweat, at least you'll know you peeked into it's workings. Not every rod is for each of us.

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread