I found myself re-reading this post several times. I am not the fisherman that I once was due to several reasons, however, I can still tie a mean fly.
PasterEd, another "radical" may be Wally Lutz from Canada with his Wally Wing concept. Which I find quite fascinating. The reason that I find it unique is light tranfer through the feather and you don't need fancy stuff, like Shimizaki wing or stuff like that. Check it out: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 2fotw.html
What I personally say about Gary's Caddis patterns is they spawned many wild colors. I'm not saying that they won't catch fish, I'm sure they will. I am not up on what Marinaro has done. Are they actually fish catching colors?....Maybe JC or those more experienced than I can answer "that" question. I do know that the "unique' colors and blends are expensive propositions in regards to the funky dubbing mixtures out there such as the SLF developed by Dave Whitlock.
I'm gonna pay for this posting, but what the hay.
But my experience over several years of "lurking" have derived several thoughts.
Like the "Ausable Wulff" by Fran Betters. I don't know if the "true" recipe is out there for anyone to use, I know I don't have it, but I can come close.
I'm not privy to the "flaming" that you are talking about, but my personal thoughts are several come up with these wild things for personal gain.
So, in the words of a certain character from the Fantastic Four "Flame On".