+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help, Not only have I forgotten what little I knew as a kid

Default Help, Not only have I forgotten what little I knew as a kid

Things have changed a lot, but some of my trouble is just simple terms and not knowing the difference in them.

So please forgive me that I would ask some of this stuff, but here goes...

What is the tippet and the difference in that and the leader?

I think I remember some little metal eye thing with a sharp end that had barbs on it to stick in the fly line to tie the leader to, but what am I missing.

I ask this stuff because I don't want to leave anything I have to have or need to start fly fishing when I order my rod and reel.

What else would you recommend I get to make life easier with my new rod and reel. I live in the stix so keep that in mind and I can run down to Walmart or any other fishing store to pick up things.

Thanks in advance in any info you would be so kind to give me.

Skip

Default Re: Help, Not only have I forgotten what little I knew as a kid

I think I remember some little metal eye thing with a sharp end that had barbs on it to stick in the fly line to tie the leader to, but what am I missing.
    Don't use those.

I think you need to start with Fly Fishing 101 in the Basics section on the homepage
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Here's a link to FlyFishing 101 Leaders and Tippets http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part6.html
    Trout don't speak Latin.

If you have not already done so, be sure to buy line cleaner/conditioner. Tell us a bit more about the waters you'll be fishing and what others tools of the trade you already have.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly
    If you have not already done so, be sure to buy line cleaner/conditioner. Tell us a bit more about the waters you'll be fishing and what others tools of the trade you already have.
    I have been fishing all my life, but just not fly fishing except when I was a kid. I have done my share of bass and crappie fishing along with a few bluegill thrown in. I have fished a lot of saltwater especially bay shallow water type for red fish and trout with some flounder thrown in. I was even a bass fishing guide on Toledo bend for a bit way back in the late 70's.

So fishing I know pretty well and am pretty fair at it. Now I want to venture back into fly fishing and especially next spring for crappie and blue gills.

I tie and sell crappie jigs and am starting to tie some flies to sell and use so I have that part under control. However fly fishing is not something I have kept up with so I am starting over and it's been a very long time since I did any of that. I don't look for trouble casting as I was pretty good at that before and remember a lot of that. The equipment though I am just not knowledgeable about it.

I appreciate any help and I will look at that link.

Skip

Skip,
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right! Learning good habits is vital. (Fundamentals)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread