+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New egg sucking leach/ bugger

Default Re: New egg sucking leach/ bugger

This may shock and amaze you guys but I also own a boat, three spinning rods, a bait caster and ............................I fish for bass too!

Wait a minute, I also cought a doz. spanish makerel this year with gulp and a Jack on a tube fly but it was on a spinning rod!

I may never be allowed to fly fish again

Blog Entries

Scientist, what ever floats your boat. Welcome to FAOL its a great site for fly fishing. Bait gets some peoples dander up but it also gets the fish off the bottom.

Eric (the worm drowner)
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

We're just having fun and fly fishing isn't the only way to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist
    This may shock and amaze you guys but I also own a boat, three spinning rods, a bait caster and ............................I fish for bass too!

Wait a minute, I also cought a doz. spanish makerel this year with gulp and a Jack on a tube fly but it was on a spinning rod!

I may never be allowed to fly fish again
    Scientist,
    There GOES your 'Normal' Welcome to the BB!!!!! Were starting our own FAOL Intervention GROUP!!!
    If you don't want to be one of our victims, pretend like you KNOW NOTHING about that other world!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Since spawning salmon aren't eating, why have the scent and taste?

Although egg sucking leech patterns are great, why not use chenille? Shell Shock Pink, Kilowatt Red, etc., are great colors to use for egg, AND you don't have to worry about putting them back in your fly wallet or box after you use them.

What other colors have any other tiers used for the egg head?

Quote Originally Posted by DianeID
    Since spawning salmon aren't eating, why have the scent and taste?

Although egg sucking leech patterns are great, why not use chenille? Shell Shock Pink, Kilowatt Red, etc., are great colors to use for egg, AND you don't have to worry about putting them back in your fly wallet or box after you use them.

What other colors have any other tiers used for the egg head?
    Just a heads up DianeID . . .
    While it is true that that Salmon in a river system are not feeding per say they absolutely will EAT bait. While I'm a fly guy for the most part I also have to entertain customers from time to time that do not fly fish and break out the spinning gear. Salmon will absolutely crush, eat and swallow properly cured salmon skein presented to them in the rivers. In fact they love it to the point that some days it just dosen't seem fair : )

They will of course strike at flies, lures and bait out of instinct and aggression in the rivers as well.

Thanks, Jeff, I know that spawning salmon will bite at things, but I was getting at the point--as you stated--that they're not eating. A fish biologist was explaining the other month about the swallowing reflex on fish, ie bait vs artificial fly, etc., and it was quite fascinating. You're right, they will swallow. Their little brain only does so much at once He gave a great talk about the hunger/searching vs biting/instinct reflexes of salmon, trout, bass, etc.

I was thinking that the last thing I'd want in my fly box is an artificial/cured scent, especially over a period of time. Fortunately, I'm not in your line where I have to entertain customers. I've talked to guides, and their stories of customers can range from pleasant trips to acting more like psychologists than fishermen. Good luck to you.

In my area, here in Washington state during 'Chum Salmon' season, one of the very best methods is to drift weightless, a six inch strip of, or a small whole, herring at least a hundred feet behind a small boat on spinning gear. The bait will stay quite close to the surface and be 'eaten' readily by the salmon. A large herring colored fly does not seem to be well received however.

+ Reply to Thread