Thanks everyone for the great replies!!

I'm not so much looking to get into building cane rods as a way to save money (tho, my wife may hear that argument ), but more because it seems like it could be a fun hobby that helps me learn more about rods/fishing.

I definitely plan on fishing/casting several cane rods before I do build one - particularly to get an idea of what taper I might like, etc. I know they cast differently than graphite - but that doesn't necessarily 'scare' me. My graphite rod is a Sage LL series and I've been told that it doesn't have the typical feel of most graphite (and Sage, in particular) rods. My casting instructor - who frequently fishes bamboo - said he liked that rod pretty well for graphite and after working with me on my casting, suggested that I might well be someone who would enjoy bamboo. Though, he also said he's never had the urge to build one Needless to say, he'll be one I'll be hitting up when I start testing boo rods.

I suppose I know that taking a class is the better way to go, it just helps to see different points of view that re-affirm that. So, while I'm working on getting the money together for the class.. might just have to see if those H&I rods are still available.

Thanks again for all of the input and I would be glad to hear any other thoughts folks have!

~~ Dave