Kerry,

It is funny that hooking a lost fish through a swivel has happend before to other people. I remember another time down at Ship Creek, this time i rode my bick 5 miles to fish, another interesting thing happend. There are three large culverts that the river goes under a rock brige near the inlet. At high tide, the water is pooled up behind the bridge as the tide comes in. At low tide, the culverts, 15' in diameter, are exposed. During a high tide, an angler was on the upstream side of the bridge casting his spin and glow with egss up the river, and letting it bounce back towards him and the culvert really slow with the slight current. After many casts, he hooks a nice king. Fish goes a ways up river, taking line, then does a quick 180 right at the guy. He is madly reeling in the slack line to get the fish on the rod again when the fish jumps. Right in front of the culvert the guy was standing on, and lands right between his legs! Still reeling in his line with his jaw on the ground, other anglers yelling at him to net the fish quick, they guy just keeps on reeling, and reeling and reeling. In super slow motion that seemed to take forever, the fish spits out the spin and glow, and SLOWLY slides back into the river. They guy was still reeling as everyone on the river was laughing their cold rear ends off.

While i only caught a few kings and silvers from that river, it sure was neat some of the things i saw happen there. That was also the last time my parents told me to be home by dark, as spring time in Alaska means some very long days!

One little secret about Ship Creek is the trout fishing. I lived on Elmendorf AFB, and there was a lot of nice water from the golf course upstream to the hospital that had a lot of good spawing water, lots of trout, and extremely limited access. I did not know how good i had it till i moved to Washington. At least i know now.