Quote Originally Posted by john montana
Quote Originally Posted by Benjo
Not all carp are willing to eat no matter what the fly or how perfect the presentation. 1 out of 20 that you present flawlessly to will eat the fly.
This certainly hasn't been my experience. I think carp take the fly extremely well. If I can get the fly to them without tipping them off that something is amiss, they take. Not all carp move well to a fly, and virtually none of the carp I've caught grab a fly and swim off like a trout or steelhead, they pretty much eat it, then spit it back out. The toughest part for me is detecting the take and timing the hook set. They spit the fly really fast, all the british carp fisherman talk about carp "ejecting" the bait, and it is even worse with an artificial. I fished for an hour today, and dapped a fly on 4 fish without spooking them...all four ate almost immediately. stick with it ottaditta!
I concur with John's assessment of carp taking a fly extremely well. I have even had carp that I did not see while casting to a feeding carp take the fly just as my targeted fish was starting to turn on my presentation. Not spooking the fish is the key to a successful presentation.

Ray