I don't know much about the North American doves/pigeons, but for quite a few years I tried to
obtain Wood Pigeon skins or feathers, the colours looked great, nice pale greys etc.
I know that thousands of them are shot and eaten every year here in the UK, but I could not
find a supplier who had any. When I read G. E. M. Skues on the subject of usefull feathers for
fly dressing, I found out why there were none for sale.

This is a quote from his list -

Pigeon, Wood. - This bird affords a number of beautiful blue feathers of colours that look admirable, whether one resorts to neck or wing, or back. But there is a harshness, a stiffness and opacity, and a tendency to split about the feathers which are characteristics common to all the feathers of the pigeon tribe, rendering them very disappointing to the dresser. Still, they are given in some of the books, and, without recommending them, the writer feels bound to give them. For all purposes for which the lighter coloured feathers of the woodpigeon can be used, the feathers of the common gulls and sea swallows are greatly to be preferred.

Pigeon, Domestic, and other Varieties. - The hackle from the glossy neck of a ruddy brown pigeon is used for a Derbyshire pattern called the Whistler. The wings of white varieties can be used for the Coachman and other white winged flies. But see remarks under ?Pigeon, Wood.?

If you have a free source of dove feathers, go ahead and try them, you have nothing to loose.
Personally, I intend to take Skues advice and use something else.