+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod finish part 2

Default Re: Rod finish part 2

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1
    I have to think the color is not a big issue. When the fish looks up all he's going to see is the silhouette of the rod against the sky.

Motion may be an issue and light reflecting off of the rod may spook a fish or two, but I'm not going to worry about it. I catch enough fish to make me happy and, personally, I don't want to worry about things when I'm out fishing. I just want to fish and relax. If a fish spooks off to the next pool because of a flash from my rod, well, I'll get him next time. It's far more likely the fish is going to spook because of my incredible wading finess and talent than because of a flash of my stick or the stick being gray (or green or black, or purple).

Even thouhg I have the wading grace of a water buffalo, I still manage to catch my fair share of fish. I suppose I could catch a few more, but at what point does it stop being relaxing fun and start being a competitive stresssful thing that resembles work?

Jeff
    Besides, a flat finish on a rod is kind of ugly to me. I got my SLT yesterday, and she's a pretty one to look at. I wouldn't want to give that up to catch a few more fish.

see, I like the flat finish, Its different then every other friggin rod produced.
    Also I dont mind if it helps with 1-2 extra fish,,, whatever. I think the flat(matte is the right word) is cool, and shiny finishes kinda bug me.

Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    see, I like the flat finish, Its different then every other friggin rod produced.
    Also I dont mind if it helps with 1-2 extra fish,,, whatever. I think the flat(matte is the right word) is cool, and shiny finishes kinda bug me.

That's why we have a choice. Buy what you like.

My spin rods are a flat finish. Which still makes no sense to me.

I worry more about the clicking sound an unprotected metal tip on a wading staff makes than the color or motion of a rod.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    I worry more about the clicking sound an unprotected metal tip on a wading staff makes than the color or motion of a rod.

So, you worry about three things?

In the original post I mentioned camo thinking that a broken up colour might help hide the long stick effect.

The flash of sun off the rod I didn't think would be so great because it would be only for an instant, just mentioned out of interest.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a trout's eye does have both rods and cones so it is believed that they can perceive colour.

My original intention was more of an idle thought rather than a serious discussion starter but it's interestin readin all the posts about this
    Puttin' the fun in dysfunctional.

This post was buggin me for some time so I got out a pencil and calculator. The window a trout see's in without TOTAL reflection is around 45 -48 degrees from the vertical (angle of incidence). This is not to say they can see well at that point - it just means they can't see at all beyond that point. The angle of refraction for this angle of incidence is about 80 degrees from the vertical. Which means they can see on an angle of about 10 degrees from the horizontal surface of the river - assuming no ripples, etc.

This means if you are standing in a couple of feet of water - they can start to see your head at about 22 feet. They could see the do-dads on your vest at around 10 feet. But they could see the tip of your rod maybe as far away as 50 feet. And they could see you standing on almost any bank within earshot. Just a good measure of how you should walk and what you should wear. As for shiny rods - you decide.

Bob Bolton

The late Del Brown painted his rods a light blue color. The man caught a lot of Permit. He felt it made a difference.

Diamondback sold some camo rods for awhile.

+ Reply to Thread