+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans needed for a rotary drying drum

Default Plans needed for a rotary drying drum

I have an old rotessier motor and I thought I would make a rotary drying drum. Does anyone have plans that I can use to build one?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Re: Plans needed for a rotary drying drum

No plans needed. Some rotessier motors have a square hole. Trim a dowel to this shape and rest the other end of the dowel on a v support. Add a foam disk from a craft store in the center and you have your dryer.

That sounds easy enough. I'll checkout Michaels this weekend. Thanks!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Of course, if your motor has the rod with it you can just use it.

Unfortunately the rod that came with the motor is long gone. This motor is over 20 years old and was used very little when my dad had it. It almost ended up in the recycle bin, but I thought it would make a fun project for my son and I. He is nearly 3.5 years old and always like to help me around the house. Sometimes I have to say no because of the safety factor. Those times don't sit well with him and he'll remark "dad lever lets me do anything." Last weekend was one such time when I was soldiering some copper pipe for an air conditioning condensation line. Thought this project would make him happy to be able to help.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Tyrone,
    There's more to rearing children than just having them. I'm no authority but I know in my own life there have been many times when it would have been easier to just go ahead and do something myself that to allow my son to "help." If it's nothing more than holding a flashlight, even when you really don't need it, do it anyway. Our Children are our heritage. Sorry for the rant. I didn't mean to hijack a thread, but this is so important.
    My son is soon to be 19 and he has been a joy and a blessing. This is just what worked for me.

Rusty <><

Thanks Rusty. Great food for thought.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Three grown daughters and they have to show their husbans how to do things around the house. Bill

Hi Tyrone,
    the year before last I made my own fly dryer too. I was able to locate a metal replacement rod at the hardware store and cut it into short enough lengths to not require anything at the other end. I used the slide-on prongs (from a BBQ rotisserie) to hold a foam wheel that I cut from some salvaged packing foam. The alligator jaws with the stick pins to hold the flies are available from Feathercraft. I bought some oak boards which I glued and clamped together to make a thick, heavy base to support the rotisserie motor and the foam wheel. I sanded and stained the base before attaching the motor. I am very pleased with the finished product. It is a handsome addition to my tying bench. I am very proud of having figured this out alone and assembled it with NO help from my husband. Good luck and I think the sanding part of the project is a safe and perfect part for a little guy to help with.

Quote Originally Posted by gerri
    Hi Tyrone,
    the year before last I made my own fly dryer too. I was able to locate a metal replacement rod at the hardware store and cut it into short enough lengths to not require anything at the other end. I used the slide-on prongs (from a BBQ rotisserie) to hold a foam wheel that I cut from some salvaged packing foam. The alligator jaws with the stick pins to hold the flies are available from Feathercraft. I bought some oak boards which I glued and clamped together to make a thick, heavy base to support the rotisserie motor and the foam wheel. I sanded and stained the base before attaching the motor. I am very pleased with the finished product. It is a handsome addition to my tying bench. I am very proud of having figured this out alone and assembled it with NO help from my husband. Good luck and I think the sanding part of the project is a safe and perfect part for a little guy to help with.
    Great idea! [url=http://www.thesmilies.com:c4543][/url:c4543]

Having done it yourself and keeping the hubby out of the mix made for a nice functional dryer.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread