+ Reply to Thread

Thread: two anchor trolley's

Default two anchor trolley's

hi everybody, my name is pat and i have been flyfishing out of my kayak "ocean kayak drifter" for about two years now. i have managed to hook salmon, steelhead, and hook and land bass and bluegills. i do not kayak fish as much as i would like but i do persue it. so here is my question, do any of you more experienced kayak fishers use a anchor trolley on both sides of your kayak? i just recently installed another trolley on my kayak to hopefully help with the wind swing. when fishing on the columbia the wind always blows and when you anchor at one point the wind will swing you around, kinda irritating. thanks for any help.
    pat

Default Re: two anchor trolley's

I only use a single anchor trolley. It seems that using two anchors could be a dangerous situation, particularly in a cross current. If you got a heavy wave from the side, or got caught anchored sideways in a current, you could get flipped. I would rather swing.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Hi Pat,

Like dunfly, I just use a single anchor. I'm often anchoring in water 25-30 feet deep and am also concerned about being swamped. That said, I believe Jim Hatch anchors at both ends of his canoe; you might want to check out his articles on his anchoring system, or send him a message.

Good fishing,
    Jeff

thanks for the replys. i was wondering if a anchor on one end and a drift chute on the the other would do the job, with out the worry of swamping the kayak? again thanks for the responses.
    pat

I use a single trolly myself. Only on still water would I consider using two anchors of any kind (including a drift sock/sea anchor/drift chute). In this situation a sea anchor is as potentially dangerous as a regular anchor.

jed

okay thanks a bunch for the reply i guess i will be going with the single anchor or drift sock. thanks again
    pat

Look for Joe Hydes articles in the warmwater archives on his dual anchor ssytem.

Works great on my canoe and could probably work on a kayak.

Rick

I see more and more kits being offered to add dual trolley systems to yaks...I surf a total of 7 kayaking,Boat building type sites and I think even Kayak.com now offers such a kit...I just have a two anchor rig on my yak..The rear being much smaller than the bow anchor.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread