+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Fishing Destinations

Default Wilderness Fishing Destinations

I?m looking to get a list together of all wilderness fly-fishing destinations. Ok, maybe not all, but as many as possible. I?m basically trying to plan some type of tandem fishing and backpacking/climbing/biking/?floating? trip each year. There are a ton of places that I would like to fish?.for now I?m only interested in wilderness areas. Ideally I want to put myself out in the middle of no-where, and then hike/fish/camp my way back to civilization.

Here is what I consider a Wilderness Destination:

You have to be able to camp on or near the water for an extended period of time. This would extend over some type of distance as well. Ideally I plan on moving about 5 miles a day for at least 7 days.

You should be able to be access the general area by car/van ? I?m trying to keep these trips financially reasonable. Ideally the cost would be plane ticket to get near, transportation to/from the trailhead, food, and fishing license/whatever other permits I need.

The water does not need to be near the access. I have no problem walking, riding, or climbing to get to good water.

Good/Unique fishing opportunities.

General Isolation. I?m not looking for amenities, just rugged landscapes and phenomenal fishing.

Please let me know if you have a place in mind that would fit this description. I would also be interested in hearing about good places like this to float through. Any suggestions welcome.

Default Re: Wilderness Fishing Destinations

This sound like an absolutely AWESOME idea. My first thought is: The Wind Rivers in WY (although I've never been there so don't know details) and my second thought is UTAH! I kind of have a biased opinion here, but I think that UT is the most geologically diverse state in the nation. There are numerous opportunities for this. The entire Uinta Mountain Range is covered by small lakes that almost all of require backpacking to. If you want isolation it is here. You're looking at a couple of hours drive from SLC airport. here is a link to some info: http://www.go-utah.com/Uinta-Mountains

There are many opportunities closer to the airport, as in 30 minutes up Big or Little Cottonwood. Here is a link to some pictures of an easy overnighter that could definateley turn into a serious climb to the top of The Pfeifferhorn or Little Matterhorn (11,326 feet) or to Lone Peak (at 11,253 Feet). This lake is called Lake Blanche and it is one of many in the Wasatch Mt. Range: [url=http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560072078HDOASq:528d9][/url:528d9] just click on the picture. For more info PM me, I'd be happy to help. Good luck and be sure to post TR's with pics once you get this going!

I just noticed that this album doesn't include fishing pics. I'll have to add them tonight so check back.
    Leave No Trace

Here is another album from this Lake. This is in my brother's album so there are a few of me casting the fly line [url=http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/556624924dCxhJv:5d319][/url:5d319]
    Leave No Trace

Wild One hit it! The Winds offer many diverse trailsof varying difficulty. Easy ones get to Big Sandy lake and the surrounding basin. Real easy, for small kids, mine were five on the first overnighter, Little Sandy Lake, Upper Sillas and Tomahawk Lakes are very good. There are several good books on hiking and fishing the Winds, I just can't think of the names at the moment.

Finis Mitchel(sp) authored the first really good book on all the trails for the Winds. Wind River Trails is still available at amazon.com for $7.50 or so. Am a little prejudiced about this book as I got to meet the author on the trail to Big Sandy Lake. He was in his 70's at the time. Also check with the Pindale Chamber for some other resources. The Game & Fish is another good resource as is the forest service, Bridger-Teton Forest.

When I remember some of the other book names, I'll let you know.

P.S. Titcomb Basin is BEAUTIFUL and sports Golden trout.
    P.S. #2 The Uintas accessed from the Wyo. side offer some great spots also. Go on line and
    I'll bet you find more info than you can digest in a month!
    Wyo-Blizzard

Weminuche Wilderness Colorado & Rio Grande Cutthroats

These are awesome suggestions everyone!

I love the UT pictures by the way, that place is definitely making the list!

I know that there have got to be more places out there, so keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by GBurgFisher
    These are awesome suggestions everyone!

I love the UT pictures by the way, that place is definitely making the list!

I know that there have got to be more places out there, so keep them coming!
    Good choice, and that is just scratching the surface!
    Leave No Trace

Check out the Ozarks National Scenic Riverways. Smallmouth and trout. Good roads, plenty of camping options, much is relatively under-utilized by "east of the Rockies" standards, temperate weather, and excellent fishing. There are many great resources like Chuck Tryon's 200 Missouri Smallmouth Adventures and several websites you can find links to from my blog page: http://ozarksflyanglers.blogspot.com

Another favorite area of mine is the area between Creede and Gunnison, CO. This is harder to access, has more severe weather issues to deal with, it's bear country, etc. But it is fabulous, remote, and has tons of excellent trout fishing. Just Google Dan's Fly Shop or Lake City Colorado to get started.

Don't forget about the Boundary Waters Canoe Area - over 1,000,000 acres in NE Minnesota primarily managed as a wilderness area.

SMB and Pike are the usual fly fishing targets. You will also find Walleye, Lake Trout and large Crappie. You can pick a route that will put you on lakes, rivers or both. While there are a few lakes that allow motorized access, most of the BWCA is non-motorized and what you take in goes in on your back.

To really take advantage of the area, you will want to canoe or kayak more than hike.

A little closer to home would be the Adirondack Mountains, in upstate New York. You could start at the eastern end of the park and make it to the Tug Hill area just in time for the kings on the Salmon River.

+ Reply to Thread