While taking a ride (soaking) in the jet boat on the Rogue River in Grants Pass, OR last August, we were fortunate enough to see an eagle flying from its nest. In flight a feather came off the wing and began floating toward the ground in an open field. A passenger asked the boat operator if he could pull to the side so that she could pick up the feather as a souvenir, and we were all told that possession of an eagle feather is a federal crime, subject to fines and possible imprisonment, and he was having no part in a federal offense.

To that end, while canoe fishing on the Grand River in NE Ohio yesterday, I saw a young eagle "fishing" not far from me (He did better than me, btw). After catching a fish off the surface he lost a wing feather while climbing back to his roost. I remembered lat year's incident, and let the feather float down the river. It would have been a fine prize, but not at the possible expense of fines and jail time.

Truth be told, there is a substitute material for virtually every feather or fur that is in the endangered species list, so why would you want to take the chance of being prosecuted for having something that volatile in your possession? Do you really think the fish know the difference? I talked to my local fishies and they said they really can't notice the difference.

Joe