+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a broken flyrod

Default Fixing a broken flyrod

Quick question. Just snapped the tip off one of my flyrods this past weekend, about the top 2" of the top section. Was going to buy a new tip-top and glue it on, but was curious if there is anyway to patch the old tip back on. I don't think there is, but figured it may be worth asking around before I alter it for good. The rod is a graphite rod.

Being just 2 inches from the top a new tip should fix you up and not lose its feel. If you wanted to go crazy you could get someone to splint it but being at the rod it would be hard to pull of with out changing the feel.

If heating doesn't work, you can try drilling out the old tip. I was able to do that once.

Just to add to JC'c comment, you can buy that heat senitive glue from most fishing supply stores or especially rod building supply places for about $2 to glue the tip on your slightly shortened rod.
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Head down to your local shop, buy a new tip guide and have them put it on. Then buy a back up.

Rich

Rich just beat me to it...I have done what he says...use the shorter one for a backup and carry it in a pvc pipe taped to your rod case...on another thread I'm about to post a picture that will include how I set up.

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

David? If it were my rod, I would not expect the manufacturer to replace the rod tip due to my negligence (or stupidity) - but that's just me.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

If the manufacturer has a program to replace the tip section, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

I just broke the tip section of a VPS I built, and just this mornign sent it off the Sage. They'll fit a new tip section (I'll have to strip off the guides and wrap the new tip), all for $30 (plus the cost of my blank when I bought it).

Why throw out a several hundred dollar fly rod when it can be replaced/fixed for cheap?

I recently spoke to a manufacturer of rods about their no fault repair guarantee, and they said the they do that to ensure that the rod they built will yeild the same fishing results as it was designed to do. The associated costs with those types of repairs often net far more payback in customer satisfaction and return business. Not a bad philosophy at all, but can you imagine the costs associated with it?

dleo6446 What the service rep did not say.We price the rods to cover our no fault waranty. Now we all pay just a bit more to cover the 3-5% of the rods that are broken. Kinda like group health you gota get sick befor you use it but you pay the premium every month just the same.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread