On Bassmans recommendation, I searched for "The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying" on amazon, and because I was so delighted with the other, I bought it.

Same high quality of paper etc. Spiral bound, and same excellent photographs.

As Bassman said the first few pages are full size. They contain basic general information about fly tying. Tools, materials etc etc. Actually information already printed in the Benchside Reference book, however what impressed me immediatly was that the information although similar has not been ripped off from the other book! It has been rewritten. Well done authors!!

The rest of the pages are as Bassman said split into two halves. The top half containing the dressings, and the bottom half the various techniques required. For example the GRHE dressing on the top half gives the list of materials, and photographs showing its tying with the basic instructions. However as each new step is reached, it gives a reference to the lower half pages. EG tying in a bunched fibre tail, it shows the fibres being selected but refers you to pages 62B. You would then turn the bottom pages to 62 and voila all the techniques and information to select, bundle and tie in the tail fibres, with lots of other tips about alternatives, sizing etc. As you reach the next stage you will be guided towards more instruction pages. Its like having two books side by side.

I think the book is aimed at the beginner and improver. Although the information contained will have interest to all tyers. I actually bought it for my Grandson, who is just learing to tie. However I may be sharing it will him or keeping it hahaha...

Again a fantastic book well written and is worth having. Once again UK and European readers will be happy to know that all the patterns contained in it are of use wherever you fish and whatever species you choose to catch. From standard Gold Ribbed Hares Ears, Pheasant tails nymphs, to nice looking patterns that I have never seen before, but which I am sure will match the hatches on most rivers and streams. Wet, dry, emergers, nymphs to streamers. (No salmon flies!). If your favourite is not there, the techniques taught will enable you with a picture and material list to tie any fly you can find.

Just one slight worry, is that the way the book is constructed with the wire spiral binding. I wonder whether eventually the pages may come loose? It opens flat on the bench, but I think in time the lower pages (which presumably will be most used!) may fold, catch and tear loose!! Only time will tell.

Once again another must have book. If you sold you car and house to buy the first book, then either hire out the wife, or take a bank loan and buy this one too!!!