+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to choose the right Fishing Dog?

Default Re: Suggestions on how to choose the right Fishing Dog?

I'll share my two experiences.

Sophie: She's a Boston Terrier, which means she's high strung, a bit difficult to train, but more than smart enough to figure it out in the end. She has learned to sit beside me on the bank on the side I don't strip line to, she's small enough to join me in my float tube, and as long as we go for a good walk first she is very patient, which makes her an ideal companion for walk-in fishing trips. She does like to chase frogs and swims like a fish, but through the years she has learned there is a time and place for it. When I get out the rod, she knows this is a fishing day, noy a frogging day. Sometimes we go out on frogging days just to keep it fair

Toby: Toby's my fiancee's lab dachshund mix (don't ask). He's a work in progress, we've only been fishing together for a few months. He still needs to learn that the only thing that needs to go in the water is the fly, but he is getting the idea, and like Sophie, some days we fish, some days we swim. It'll take a little longer than Sophie did because we have a lot of lab instincts and bad habits to break. He's two years old; we had Sophie out from day one. There's hope for Toby; he's coming along fine. At a very long 60 pounds, Toby will probably not be on the float tube with me.

When we fish areas where there are other people and/or other dogs, both dogs are on a leash (many places I fish have leash laws). They are cool with that, they know what it means. I have a retractable leash. When we are fishing,I stand on the end so I have both hands free to fish. I'm a big boy, neither dog can pull away. They've tried, they learned, neither tries anymore. It all works out pretty well really,and the real key to training both dogs has been to get them out and do it, then be patient while they learn. Just like fishing with kids.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

i do agree with you SilverMallard... I would not take my girl where she could mess up fishing for someone else. That's not cool.

I generally try to stay out of sight of other anglers. That way they don't have to wonder what I keep trying to get out of the tree's behind me.

I'm not one to put in my 2 cents worth but I've never fished with a dog. Seems to me that the hook would be way too big!!!

hahahahaha....

okay... I'll shuddup now!....
    ... they call me AW!
    AW's Outdoors - hunting, fishing & other outdoorsy stuff!

We had the pleasure to be Dinah's 24/7 companion for 8 glorious years. With absolutely minimal, layman's training, she did little 'cept "sit" and "come" when called. "Wait" was about 3 good seconds worth. Most of her time was spent making friends, as you can see.
    She cannot be replaced, but we do wait the appearance of our next companon.
    Why do these threads always seem to cause "puddling".
    ....lee s.

Imagine taking these two ratbags fishing, I would be chasing them more than actually doing any fishing.

Cheers

I have 2 american eskimos that love to go. One of them loves to wade with me, but hell I have to carry her out asshe gets to cold. She has more then once waded the back part of Roaring River with me. The other dog loves Taneycomo. Likes to walk on the hand railing hates walking on the leaves. Her thing is finding those trout caught in the holes left after they quit generating. Chases those trout all around thehole, but doesn't really go in after them. Benifit they are white and makesome intersting flys.
    Bill Mc

I have a female Chocolate Lab and I could not imagine a better fishing companion. We searched long and hard before settling on where to get her from. I wanted a dog with some decent field lines but also a good mix of show lines as dogs bred strictly for field work are WAY to wound up for my liking. Once we settled on a breeder with many references and selected a pup we purchased the Monks of New Skete dog trining book and wow was it great. We started training from the get go and it payed off in spades. Of course she LOVES the water but minds commands very well, is great around others (people and dogs) and while interested in the local wildlife she will not go chasing things (without permission).

Females will not go around peeing on everything in sight which is nice and does not have the tendency to wander as males often have. From the start we trained her to "go potty" on command and man has this been great. This is explained in the Monks book and she will literally do her business when you ask her to which makes doing these things in the wrong place no issue.

Problem with all of this is that my wife and kids and I sure are going to miss her when she's gone but at 9 years old we still have some great years ahead of us. Others we know ended up getting a female Chololate after meeting ours and have been very happy with their choices : )

Quote Originally Posted by akalooker
    For this reason, man's best friend only accompanies me on the river during very low use periods of the year (read as, it's cold outside and others aren't on the river anyways), or when we venture to mountain streams where it's highly unlikely we'll run into another fisherman the whole day. If I do encounter other fishermen, I make sure to take a wide path around them so as not to disturb them and ruin their fishing trip.
    That's about the only time I'll take my dog with me is during the winter...mainly because he doesn't mind all that well, I'm probably not going to catch many fish anyway, there are very few anglers present, during the summer there are lots of rattlesnakes where I fish most of the time...I still love taking him though, even if it means I'll catch 1 or 2 fish ompared to 10 (he really loves to swim right through the deepest section closest to me)...

or you could have one of these for your fishing partner...this guy showed up for about a week straight while I was fishing the Deschutes last summer...he just kind of hung out near me the entire time I was in that general area...

~Randy

PS, sorry about the size of that one pic, I just pulled them out of my photobucket gallery...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Oh yes don't forget when choosing a dog that you get a breed with good colour and soft underfur for dubbing and longer hair for streamers Nothing like having a faithfull companion and good quality dubbing on the hoof.

Cheers

No shedding, quiet and always stays were you want him to. Cheap of food too and no worries about leaving something for someone else to step in.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread