+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bennit Springs

Default Re: Bennit Springs

I see you're in Johnson County ... gotta be somewhere close to me ... if you'd like, I could give you a few chamois leeches "guaranteed" to work down there!! Let me know!
    Thanks Betty but when we were in Colorado my dad and I tied up some chamois leeches. We would sit for a few hours each and tie chamois leeches so I think I should have enough but thanks anyway.

I can't wait so please give us a report after your trip to help through the summer.
    I will deffinitly report bowmaker! I can't wait to go and thank you all for the advice that you have given me. I am sure it will come into good use!

BC

BC,

I used to fish Bennett Springs when I was in highschool, usually over the summer and what many don't understand is that Bennett offers the only flyfishing for trout that many people have access too. Fisherman come from all over from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois to fish....the summer is crowded because many make this part of their vacation. This is a great traditional flyfishing area and its perfect for someone thats still learning they're way around a trout stream. Just have to have some patience for others and enjoy yourself. I used to fish in the morning with an ultarlight rod with a black & yellow jig, then switch to the flyrod for the remainder of the day. I'll come up with some more options for flies and get back to you.

Journeyman

Hello,
    I usually fish Bennett 5-6 times a year. If you can make it during the week it will be much less crowded.As far as flies go...I don't think you can go wrong with a #12 crackleback in sulpher or blue body.Fish like a dry then skip it on the swing and strip it back to you and hold on.(If you are planning on stripping don't go smaller than 5x)I usually fish small tippets and if you can, use a furled leader with some flex to it.No need to use anything smaller than 6x either way unless you are fishing scuds or nymphs.If you do use nymphs make sure you use flouro cause it seems to make a big diff.
    Weaver's tackle is before you get into the park,on 64 has a good selection of different colors of cracklebacks and usually know which are working best at the time.

If you need more info PM me and I'll help you out more.

Good luck,
    Rich

I live just 60 miles from Bennett Springs and go there probably 9 or 10 times/year. It's a nice place to fish except for the crowds. If you are going on a weekend Sun is much less crowded than Sat. I like Sun afternoons and at times I've had a whole stretch of river to myself. Weekdays are even better. But Saturdays are a Zoo.

I disagree with the other poster - I think a fly rod is a much better choice than a spinning rod. I like fishing mohair leeches, cracklebacks, small dries, and just about any small beadhead nymph. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can catch one right after another though. Except for the first hour or so in the morning (when all the dumb ones are culled out) these hatchery trout can be wary. Use 6X tippet and you'll get more strikes.

I've never had a bad day as far as catching fish at Bennett. It's a beautiful place too.

Greg

I fished Bennett a couple weeks ago and was there for work last week.

I saw mayflies in the air and some small midges.

I did well late in the day on an 18 parachute BWO. Small cream midges are a favorite, too.

Weavers keeps the best info on Bennet. You can get the cream midges there if you can't find them.

I will probably be back there working next week. I will try to report back if I get to fish.

Betty,

Sent you a PM, could you elaborate on the chamois leech? I'd be interested in tying it. Also, for the Crackleback....what colors would you recommend? Any advice you can offer would be great.

Thanks,

Tim

Basscatcher85
    Why are you passing up the White river or the Norfork?
    Getting to the Springs you will be driving past two great trout rivers.

Krause, not sure what Bennett Springs your referring to but Bennett Springs for us is just outside of Lebanon, Missouri. About 2-1/2 hours from KC. The White is a solid 5-6 hours.

Tim

Tim ... PM sent!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread