+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line Weight

Default Line Weight

I have several brands of graphite rods with specific recommended line weights. Without exception I find that I feel most comfortable with a line one weight heavier. Am I casting too slowly or possibly overloading the rods? Have any other guys experienced this situation?

Ray, don't worry about it. Just the way you like things.

Just an observation. "Overline, Overline, Overline." Why is it never "Underline?" Why, if and when, every rod maker that makes a mistake on the line number, it is always in the same direction? They always mark the rod too low? Odd.

Ray, remember that line weight is measured by the first 30' of line (exclusive of the level tip). When you line up one line, you can load the rod with less line. If a lot of your casts are 20-25 ft., it stands to reason that the heavier line will cast better. Also, today's rods are typically faster, and can handle the uplining with no problem. My Sage XP 7wt. casts an 8 wt. line no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell

Just an observation. "Overline, Overline, Overline." Why is it never "Underline?" Why, if and when, every rod maker that makes a mistake on the line number, it is always in the same direction? They always mark the rod too low? Odd.
    JC...could it be that we are talking WF lines...don't ask me why....but if it's WF and we underline then most of the time we would be talking "overhang".....hard for most to do.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell

Dear JC,

I was taught long ago that one way to combat wind was to drop down a line weight. It speeds up the rod and the smaller line is also less wind resistant making it easier to cast in the wind.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

+ Reply to Thread