+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better rod, better caster

Default Better rod, better caster

I am sure most of you know this already, but for those like myself, who have never lined a better quality rod, take heed.
    4 years ago, when I decided to take up fly fishing, a young family, and a college student wife, put me strictly in the budget fisherman category. Not knowing if this was something I would enjoy also prompted me to not invest too many greenbacks. Short story long, I bought the obligatory Pflueger rod/reel combo from BassPro. $60 for the lot. Well fast forward to this winter when I treated myself to a St Croix, Premier. I know this is still a bottom of the barrel rod compared to some. Anyhow, I lined it up today for the first time, and went fishing for the elusive lawn trout. Well, let's just say WOW! What a difference. This thing nearly casts itself. I am sold. Now to start saving for a really expensive one.

If you like the St. Croix, then enjoy it. No need to make yourself crazy trying to get the top of the line rod. There is a new top of the line rod every year. You will never be happy if you think you must always upgrade.

My first rod was a Winston BIIX. I got spoiled fast. I don't recommend starting that way unless you have a nice fishing account. Which I don't.

I look back on it and wish I had just kept the first rod and stopped looking at rods.

No need to make yourself crazy trying to get the top of the line rod. There is a new top of the line rod every year. You will never be happy if you think you must always upgrade.
    Maybe more often than every four years though. Honestly I don't think I could ever be able to justify four of five hundred dollars for a rod. At least not for the amount of fishing I do. I would like to have a few other weights however. I have my broomstick 6, for Bass and now the St Croix 4, for most of the trout fishing I do. Maybe a little stream rod, and a big stick for chasing Northern Pike or for going down to the Salmon or the Oswego for Steelhead. I have yet to try either one of the last two, but I want to soon.

This is just weird.
    Four years ago I bought Phlueger combo from Bass Pro.
    Year later I bought used St.Croix premiere.
    Still use the St.Croix for trout and panfish. Phlueger is in good hands. My grandson is learning how to fish with it.
    If you invest in a really good fly line than you will use this rod for many years to come.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

My first rod was a pro angler(i still have it), and it was bought about 10 years ago this month, for les than 100$. That rod is lighter than a bamboo rod, and it casts more beautifly than anything else i have ever used. I wouldn't trade it for 100 bamboo rods!

JZ

My first fly rod was a $3.00, nine foot, Japanese cane.
    You guys got it easy
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

My first flyrod was a Eagle Claw, in 65. I still have it and it means a lot to me.
    Cost- 12 bucks.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Well, let's just say WOW! What a difference.

Sagittarius62,

It's not the rod it is you! Your just getting better all the time.

Feels good don't it...enjoy!

Kind regards and Happy Hearts

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

My first fly rod was a cheapie Fenwick glass rod that I bought at K-Mart. The ferrules would often separate and the tip would go flying into the water. (that was before I knew about the parafin wax trick). I became frustrated and so the next year I went to my local fly shop and bought a Sage GPL. The year was 1983. I loved that rod and still have it today and even though I started fishing bamboo, I will NEVER sell the rod. The manufactures can talk all the hype they want to about 'improvements" in the industry and how the newer rods are better, but, I have my doubts about their claims. I also don't think you need to spend a lot of money to get a darn nice rod that you'll be able to fish for many years to come.

Scott

P.S My Sage is happily residing in the Colorado rocky mountains ready for my yearly pilgrimage to visit relatives.

+ Reply to Thread