Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart
I understand why you would want a loop to loop connection, but I don't understand why you only attach a 6-8 inch section to your line. Why not your full butt section of 30-36 inches and then your loop. That way, you'd never have to worry about it going through the guides once you've rigged your rod and it would still be far enough away from your fly that I don't believe it would scare fish. Besides, I suspect all your various leaders use the same or nearly the same butt section anyway.
Dear CM,

Unless you are tying your own leaders I can't understand why you see any advantage to a 30 to 36" long permanent butt section?

You effectively double the length of the stoutest portion of your leader unless you cut off 3 feet from every leader you used. It would become critical to constantly match the diameter of your butt section to the leader.

With a 6 inch butt section that is not an issue, you can knot on 6 inches of .020 diamter butt section and use a commercially made leader with a butt diameter of .024 to .017 with little difficulty. I can't even imagine what it would be like to try to cast a leader with a butt diameter attached to a 36 inch permanent butt of substantially thinner material.

In addition, I'd like to see how you use a 9 foot leader attached to a 36 inch butt section on a 7 1/2 foot or shorter rod? You'd have to have a 72" sleeve length to come close to reaching a fish without reeling the entire butt section through your guides.

I'm 6' 5" tall with long arms and when using a 9 foot rod with a 9 foot leader I find that I frequently have to reel the 6 inch butt section of my leader through the tip top to reach the fish because I often am restricted as to how far overhead I can lift my arm and rod due to streamside trees and shrubs.

I'm not saying you can't do what you do, if it works for you that's fine. I'm just saying I can't imagine doing it without a lot of difficulty.

Best Wishes,
Avalon