+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis 7'9" 5wt versions....a far and fine can of worms

Default Orvis 7'9" 5wt versions....a far and fine can of worms

I've seen quite a few different versions of the Orvis 7'9" 5wt. Most seem to be pretty close in overall action and feel, but looking for some better Orvis expertise and history info here.

ONLY talking about the 5wt 7'9", how many different models have there been?

For example, I'm aware of:

- Superfine Far and Fine 2pc gray unsanded blank 5.5?
    - Superfine Far and Fine 2pc newer brown blank 5.5? (was there a 2pc in the brown blank?
    - Superfine 2006 4pc (called Far and Fine?) flex?
    - Superfine 2007 4pc Trout Bum 4.0
    - Green Mountain 2pc ?
    - Rocky Mountain 2pc ? (staggered length sections? there's one on For Sale on this site)
    - Rocky Mountain Western? 2pc ?
    - Clearwater older version(s) ?
    - Clearwater Classic 6.5 mid ?
    - Silver Label 2pc 5.0 ?

Have I missed any? Probably! Anyway, please add any info, opinions, history, etc. to this thread (curiosity has gotten the better of me).

Also, I've heard that the older Clearwaters were basically identical to the Superfine Far and Fine, other than hardware. Is that true, including flex rating? I've also heard the newer Clearwaters and/or Clearwater Classic (6.5 mid flex) are not all that well thought of, as compared to the older Clearwaters?

Anyway, thanks for any additional info!

Tom

P.S. - Anyone have a 7'9" 5wt full flex Orvis they want to sell me for a reasonable price? (I'm not sure about the "staggered length sections" Rocky Mountain version that is for sale, but may consider it).

Mine says, "7ft. 9in. 2 1/8oz. HEG (5)" on the rod tube. It is brown and unsanded with the #1175 on the end cap. The two pieces are not the same length. I think I got it in 1975.

There was a HLS (high line speed) version.

I think the Clearwater with 6.6 flex rating is imported while the older 5.5 was made on a USA Far and Fine blank.

At one time the FnF outsold all other Orvis rods combined. A testiment to the rods fishability.

When I heard Orvis was discontinuing the Superfine Far and Fine last year I bought one for a "spare". This was the "brown" model with even section and sanded blank. I cast it side by side with my older unsanded blank model and they felt somewhat different. I hung a 1 oz weight from the tip of both rods - the weight lowered the tip of the old rod 1 1/2" farther than the new rod - telling me the action was not identical.

The new model rod I had was new/un fished with warranty card. I recently traded it for an old model in like condition.

Superfine Far and Fine 2pc newer brown blank 5.5? (was there a 2pc in the brown blank?

YES, I have one.

As to the Clearwater / Superfines....etc.

I was told by Orvis Factory Store salespeople that
    ( at least in 2001 ) Orvis made 2 categories:
    Superfine / Clearwater
    and
    Trident ( renamed TLS ) / Silver Label.

Supposedly, the blanks in each category were the same
    and that they really differed only in the quality of hardware / cork / cosmetics / construction care.

I'm not claiming this to be anything but what I was told. ( but it makes sense to me ).

Although I don't have a CLUE as to an answer, I AM in awe of the question.

Mark

Me too, Mark

The older unsanded F&F rods were the ones that gave the F&F it's reputation. Everything else is a little different. They had a sort of bamboo feel to them without the weight of bamboo. A good one will bring close to $400 now on ebay.

Default Re: Orvis 7'9" 5wt versions....a far and fine can of wo

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCreek
    I've seen quite a few different versions of the Orvis 7'9" 5wt. Most seem to be pretty close in overall action and feel, but looking for some better Orvis expertise and history info here.

ONLY talking about the 5wt 7'9", how many different models have there been?

For example, I'm aware of:

- Superfine Far and Fine 2pc gray unsanded blank 5.5?
    - Superfine Far and Fine 2pc newer brown blank 5.5? (was there a 2pc in the brown blank?
    - Superfine 2006 4pc (called Far and Fine?) flex?
    - Superfine 2007 4pc Trout Bum 4.0
    - Green Mountain 2pc ?
    - Rocky Mountain 2pc ? (staggered length sections? there's one on For Sale on this site)
    - Rocky Mountain Western? 2pc ?
    - Clearwater older version(s) ?
    - Clearwater Classic 6.5 mid ?
    - Silver Label 2pc 5.0 ?

Have I missed any? Probably! Anyway, please add any info, opinions, history, etc. to this thread (curiosity has gotten the better of me).

Also, I've heard that the older Clearwaters were basically identical to the Superfine Far and Fine, other than hardware. Is that true, including flex rating? I've also heard the newer Clearwaters and/or Clearwater Classic (6.5 mid flex) are not all that well thought of, as compared to the older Clearwaters?

Anyway, thanks for any additional info!

Tom

P.S. - Anyone have a 7'9" 5wt full flex Orvis they want to sell me for a reasonable price? (I'm not sure about the "staggered length sections" Rocky Mountain version that is for sale, but may consider it).

First off, There is the two pc. One Once called the Far and Fine with the butt section a little longer than the tip.
    Then they came out in around 2002 with the Dark Red ( not brown) Far and Fine with equal length pieces (these two feel the same)
    There have bee as you have mentio several 7'9" 5wt's but these were the two named Far and Fine(named after the Bamboo)
    New version of a 7'9" is a four pice but no longer called the Far and Fine but a "7'9" 4pc. Trout Bum".

They are all full flex and feel very similar, with the exception of the new 4 pc being a little crisper.
    I think the Clearwater was the closest to the original Far and Fine.
    So in answer to you question....TWO (not counting the Bamboo)

I have Jerry's "old" brown F&F. I love the way it feels. It might be marginally different from the old F&F's, but I love it. Hopefully, he likes his new/old F&F as much as I like my new acquisition! Personally, if I were Jerry, I'd try it out on Mill Creek.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck441
    I have Jerry's "old" brown F&F. I love the way it feels. It might be marginally different from the old F&F's, but I love it. Hopefully, he likes his new/old F&F as much as I like my new acquisition! Personally, if I were Jerry, I'd try it out on Mill Creek.

Chuck

Chuck, I'm glad we are both pleased. I fretted a bit till I heard you'd gotten the rod and were happy. Your old rod is for "lookin" right now....if something happens to my old one it will be brought out of storage. "Mill Creek"??? hmmmm sounds good.

+ Reply to Thread