Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
If I choose to pretend I sometimes play at being a journalist, I can't/won't take a side on this issue regardless, or more importantly, because of my views. It is well excepted that one either 'goes to the circus, or reports on the circus.' To do both shows bias and is not considered quality journalism. To have passion for a cause is not a bad thing, nor is reporting about it, nor is being an advocate for ideas. One should only be certain of the choice of hat worn at the time.

This is neither a comment on the subject nor the way it is being reported.
No! You're absolutely right! I identified myself as an outdoor journalist when contacting these organizations. And I asked them if they were aware of the bill and what their positions were on it. I told them their statements should be official and might be published.

And I don't pretend. I'm probably the only guy who ever writes for this website who has ever been a member of OWAA. And I have numerous print publications over the years ranging from national magazines with huge circulations and scholarly journals to several massive websites (articles and blogs) and a few obscure books; not to mention over 5,000 official US government documents. Outdoor journalism is but one of the subjects I write about. I am currently writing a major feature for a regional magazine about the loft movement in Springfield, Missouri. That will be published next month. And I've done a few TV shows and a bunch of radio talk shows on hunting subjects. So I don't think that makes me a "pretender."