+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanted: Murdich minnow tying instructions & supplies

Default Wanted: Murdich minnow tying instructions & supplies

I am new to fly tying...I have yet to tie a fly....I would like step by step instructions to tie a murdich minnow or murdich wiggler if anyone has them!! I'd rather not buy a $20 video for this one fly..

Thank you,

Joel

Maybe this will help. No tying instruction but a recipe.

http://www.fishandflymagazine.com/artic ... ICLE_ID=73

I've found that recipe, but I'm new to tying and have no idea where to start...

Try starting here:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

If nothing else, at least read through them so you can understand the techniques you'll need to tie whatever it is you're planning on tying. Get the few items you're going to need and give it a shot. You're going to have to at least get a vice, bobbin and scissors and thread... at least... or you'll have nothing to tie the materials onto or on with. Good luck.

Joelw23- welcome to the dark side!

The beginners link that Hazmat gave you is a great resource. It teaches a variety of techniques by a well thought out sequence of flies. Once you know how to tie a Wooly Bugger, which has a tail of marabou and a chenille body you can use these techniques on completely different flies. For example it teaches you the same principles you'll need to tie in a tail of bucktail hair and tinsel and tie a body of estaz on the Murdich Minnow.

I couldn't find step by step with pics for Murdich Minnow, (or a Cactus Minnow which is similar) except for lot's of references to the video, but I think the current issue of Saltwater Fly Fishing has step by step instructions for tying the Murdich Wiggler. If you can find a copy at a store browse through it to make sure before you buy.

Also, click on the fly of the week at the main FAOL page and when that pops up, click on Previous Flies. You'll get a whole bunch of patterns that pop up with instructions and step by step instructions. It sounds like you're either a bass guy or a saltwater guy, and there are patterns in there for both, as well as trout and other fish. If you've never tied before, good patterns to tie up that are listed there include Mickey Finn streamers, Clouser Minnows. Think of them as "styles" and feel free to subsitute colors etc.

Also, think about finding a club to join, like a local TU chapter --- maybe a local fly shop could point you in the right direction. Many clubs like this have fly tying classes on a regular basis, or your fly shop may put them on too. Sometimes it's easier to have some one explain and see them actually do things than trying to get it through pictures.

In the meantime feel free to ask away here, we'll try and answer your questions.

good luck, hope this helps.

peregrines

Ahh, another one falls into the dark clutches of the Vise. Welcome, Joel. Lots of good suggestions to follow up above. I know I've learned a lot from the beginner's articles and from the fly of the week patterns.
    Be sure to check in the local fly shops or with a local club. Often times they have someone offering a class on tying. Good hands on training, plus an "expert" that is willing to show you some of the tricks of the trade.
    If nothing else, just find an experienced tier that is willing to sit down with you and show you the ropes. Lots of those guys around.
    Good luck.
    CJ

yeah... lol, my first fly was funny it had one of everything from the orvis clearwater flytying kit, it looks like some one put the whole kit in a blender and tyed it on and i also didn't know that it was good to use epoxy and half hitch/whip finish(i can't tie the whip finish, it is really hard left handed). n only only one person told me how to tie flies Leroy

Ps: try tieing a clouser minnow be careful not to croud the head, and make it in a nice funnel shape.

Good Luck,

JZ

+ Reply to Thread