HMD- Great looking fly. I fish similar patterns for striped bass and I love 'em, especially when the bass are on mullet and herring. It's a great waking pattern that pushes a lot of water. I also use an all black version in black for fishing at night, blind casting while wading.

Don't know if it really makes a difference or not, but after tying, I've gotten in the habit of trimming the packed deer hair CAREFULLY with a razor blade on the bottom close to the hook shank to improve the gape in the hope of improving hookups. I leave the bucktail collar as is, since it adds to the meaty shape of the pattern without being likely to interfere with a hook set. I use Mustad 34007, mostly in 1/0.

For what it's worth, I tie mine sparsely (like yours) with the shiny hackle sides out (not splayed out Tarpon style) to make it less air resistant in casting (we get a lot of heavy wind). The action isn't as good as it would be with splayed wings but it seems to work OK and is easier for me to throw into the wind.

I can just picture your fly learning to swim between some lily pads. Twitch.... Twitch.... Twitch.... Twi-KABOOOM!!!!

peregrines