Many people find that overweighting a rod helps their casting. The effect overweighting has is it loads the rod with less line out and / or less line speed. An accomplished caster can balance line speed to weight and produce the same load with several diferent line weights. Shooting lines and heads are examples of overweighting. For example, a 250 grain head or shooting line like SA's Streamer Express is commonly used on 7 & 8 wt rods. 250 grains is the weight of 9 wt line at the top limit of that spec. This is, in effect overweighting by 2 line sizes on a 7 wt. You can shoot a long distance with little effort and no false casting with this type of setup. You will probably find you cast with less effort with a higher weight line. If you use a lower weight line you will have to put more line speed into your cast to achieve the same loading. That's why using a lower line weight is not as popular because it may be harder for one to cast. I personally find the recommended line weight on my rods is fine foe me but I do have some shooting lines for some types of fishing. As Buddy (who gave you good advice) said, try them.

------------------
Joe