+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FERRULE CLICK

Default FERRULE CLICK

I see in another thread that I may be presuming too much about 'ferrule clicks'. I thought the click I hear in one of my cane rods is from a loose fit between the female and male portions of the ferrule.

It never dawned on me that it's caused by the female ferrule being loose on the (in this case) the butt section of the rod.

My question then, is the 'click' from the female side being loose on the ferrule station? And/or can it also be from the two halves of the ferrule not fitting tightly.

I'm no cane rod builder or even a restorer but I'm thinking I may give a resto a try because of all the good help I find here.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

MM:

Every metal ferrule on bamboo rod "click" I've ever experienced was because one ferrule half or the other was loose where it was attached to the blank.

As a matter of fact the only other ferrule click I ever experienced was also the same thing except it was a loose spigot on a graphite rod.

I've had more than my share of loose metal ferrules on cane rods but never loose enough for the ferrule FIT to cause a clicking sound.

IF the click is caused by a loose fit on the blank; you should be able to replicate the clicking sound by flexing either the male or female half by itself without having the rod joined.

BTW if you attempt a repair, check to see if the ferrule is pinned as many were in the old days. You can gently punch or push out the pin to remove the ferrule; re-glue, re-pin, re-wrap and re-varnish after that.

Have fun!

Good luck

You can put some wax on the male end of the ferrule and fit it to the female, go out and give a few false casts, and if it still clicks- you'll need to reset the ferrule. I'm thinking that there is tremendous stress is being put on the entire rod as it flexes from loading. If there is a "click", there may an abrupt amount of force not being applied to the flex of the full rod but stopping at just at the one clicking joint and snap. I have a business degree not engineering so this may just be hog-wash.
    Come on over to the bamboo side!!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Bamboozle, just what I was looking for in a reply, same for Wednesday Caster.

My mission is clear now...and I have narrowed it down I'm thinking, to the male ferrule on just one of the tips being loose as the rod doesn't 'click' with both tips. I just naturally, (for me) decided it was loose from wear. I'll drag it out and return here with a full report.

I know about the pins but thanks for the reminder. Also I'll definitely try to replicate the 'click' by flexing each section while not joined. I'll try the wax trick too. By the time I try all the good ideas I should know what is loose and what is not. I'd be sick if this thing broke at the end of any of the ferrules, so no way will I fish it until this is resolved. Thanks !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I would put my money on what BB and Quinn have already stated...betcha the glue has failed and if it is pinned that is all that is holding it. BB nailed it, you should be able to feel it by holding the ferrule and moving the cane.

If the male was too small for the female you would have twisting of the rod in the casting action and even possible separation....

Thanks deleo, and I don't recall any twisting or section separations while casting. Since the outfit if a bit over 50 years old it may well be that the ferrule has come unglued. I'll check it all out and get back with what I learn.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default Loose ferrule

Mr. Moose

If one ferruls half is loose, you will do yourself a favor and reset all the ferrules plus the tip-tops. If not, you will forever be chasing a clicking ferruls until you eventually get them all.

fishbum

Hello Mr. fishbum....well it's a 2x2 so that wouldn't take that much effort...tip tops, well, they were reglued when the rod was restored but from what I've been reading and from the replies I've gotten to my post, I'm thinking the ferrules must not have been reset/reglued. Bummer. I'll know more when I check the sections as described above, i.e, flex them individually to hear what's 'a clickin'.

I'll post the results of that here. Thanks Mr. fishbum !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default Resetting ferrules

Mr. Moose

When you do reset your ferrules, don't be tempted to use an epoxy adhesive. While they are conveniant to use and available, epoxy is not the best solution to keeping your ferrules on the rod. It sets too hard abd the difference in the coefficent of expansion of the metal ferrule material and the bamboo is too great. They will just get loose again. 1 year, 2 years, maby later, they will loosen again.

Use Pliobond. This adhesive hase some flex and will stay put. Be sure to clean everything. Use a Q-tip to coat the inside of the metal ferrule. Apply a coat to the bamboo and let it air dry. Apply a second coat to the bamboo and let that air dry. Start the metal part onto the bamgoo. Use an alcohol lamp to heat the metal part and gently warm the bamboo part and them push the ferrule home. Bind the tabs and let set for 2 or 3 days. Clean with MEK.

Good luck with your project.

fishbum

Thank you Mr. fishbum...now that sounds like a valuable bit of wisdom if anyone asks me. I've used pliobond before but not quite like that...two coats, inside ferrule coat, some heat. Something I don't know a thing about and had been instructed to use an epoxy...can't remember the name of it but it's gray.

Sounds something like putting a tip top on the way you describe it...and the pliobond would be easier to deal with if it squeezes out onto the blank I'm presuming. Thanks again Mr. fishbum...great post !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread