+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Arkansas trout rivers?

Default Thanks

Our local weatehr man, who i will say is about as quirky as a cat around a rocking chair and gets excited everytime the wind blows; (yes we are in Tornado alley) is predicting ice and snow Thursday. Or at minimum bad driving conditions. Not to concerned about here with an expected high of 41 but Northern Arkansas and west TN look as though they may get some real ice mix. So travel plans may be a NO GO. Man Cabin Fever is killing me. Nothing a little CWT wouldn't cure.
    "Cold Water Therapy"

Thanks for all the great info everyone!
    ~~~waders~~~

Default postponed...

Had to cancell the trip for now. Yes we did receive a light dusting of snow. Nothing more than covering the yard and a few bridges. You would think the world was coming to an end the way people react to snow here. Schools have been delayed business opening late.

Water continues to be pushed through the dams at Norfork and White. So decided since they had received snow too...would wait till later date and ty again. All is not lost though, gives me more time to prepare and tie more flies. Plan to head out in March. Thanks again for all the great info.

If you come to the Mountain Home area in March, try to come the weekend of the 15, 16, and 17. You can catch the SowBug, one of the premium FF shows in this part of the nation.

Default Re: postponed...

Quote Originally Posted by Waders
    Had to cancell the trip for now. Yes we did receive a light dusting of snow. Nothing more than covering the yard and a few bridges. You would think the world was coming to an end the way people react to snow here. Schools have been delayed business opening late.

Water continues to be pushed through the dams at Norfork and White. So decided since they had received snow too...would wait till later date and ty again. All is not lost though, gives me more time to prepare and tie more flies. Plan to head out in March. Thanks again for all the great info.
    Waders,

You made a wise decision by postponing your trip. I went down with a few guys and fished the weekend. They ran water the whole weekend.....and lots of it.
    The fishing was fairly slow. One positive is that shad were coming through the dam, so the shad patterns were working. We had ice on the rod guides even during the day.

Long story short, you didn't miss a whole lot.

Default Sow Bug Plans

Thanks for the follow up info and yes trying to plan to be there for the Sow Bug Roundup. Used to attend religously the FFF conclave every October and Dad enjoyed the Sow Bug so much he started attending whenever possible or health permitted. Looking forward to spending time with many old friends, artists and tyers. It's always great fun! Saturday tying was full but hopefully will be able to ty on Friday. If not there is always next year!

Have always heard the shad fishing experience on high water can be awesome. Years ago watched a young man walk down the river bank with a huge broke back rapala and large bait casting outfit chunking and winding in high water. Sad part were the two browns he was dragging behind him on a chain that were about 4 to 5lbs each. I just can't bring myself to kill them. If I had to eat I would'nt be to selective but for the sport I would much rather release the big fish. But I guess BIG is relative on the white considering the number of fish we spotted over the years over 10lbs. Be safe, use caution when wading and layer up this time of year!

Best Regards!

+ Reply to Thread