+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Furled Leaders ...my turn

ducksterman,

I am not answering for Jack, but, a guide/fly shop owner friend of mine here used thread furled leaders all the time until I gave him a furled leader made from .005 diameter Coats & Clarke 100% Nylon Quilting Thread to try out. Now that is the only furled leader he uses. He claims it works just as well as the thread furled leader and he treats it with floatant just like the thread furled leader. He does not have to worry about mildew if he puts his gear away wet and he thinks it has more stretch than thread which saves his tippet on a hard strike. He also states that sometimes his thread furled leaders would get frayed on a snag and the nylon ones do not.

Now when it comes to why Jack does not use them, it may be because he has made 2 trips to Tennessee to fish with me and I may have converted him into a nymph/wet fly fisherman!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Ducksterman

Here are pictures of my tensioner. JC sorry about the size of the picture. I tried to reduce the second picture but couldn't.

Knucks

Ducksterman;
    Yep, Warren did it and he also converted me to the "Castwell Knot". I'll still stick to midges on the Elk though as it was the only time I've ever out fished Warren.

Warren;
    The Mover just left and will have a final quote for me Monday.

OK, Jack, for making that comment about beating me with midges, your next trip here and you will be mine! Get prepared to get "smoked" big time my friend!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Ducksterman;
    Now that Warren and I have hijacked your thread (he did it, not me!). To be honest, that day on the Elk I caught one to Warren's zip. A day later on the Duck he caught 13 to my 5! All done on the Duck with Berkley Vanish "Transition" 4# test furled leaders.
    Some how, some way we have to get togather and wet a line!

+ Reply to Thread