+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub-$1,000 Bamboo

Let me state right up front ~~ Mike Brooks is a friend of mine. Having said that, let me say this ~~ Mike is one of the best guys to work with when it comes to ordering a new bamboo rod. His permacane process makes the rod almost bullet-proof. Follow the link provided above and contact Mike.

I know a couple of guys that have rods made by Ron Caimi. They both love their rods and they seem very well made. His are well under $1000 Heres the link:

http://www.troutcamprods.com/aboutme.htm

Greg

Dave....ditto John Channer....I am thinking of having him build me another...great guy & great prices...talk to him or any rod maker first!!
    ...so many boo rods, so many trout....do I have enough time?...

Bill Taylor
    A.J. Thramer
    Art Weiler
    John Channer
    Harry Boyd
    Mike Brooks

I would try to avoid a Chinese made rod, the quality is very low, the listed builders will build you a quality rod for a fair price.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thanks all for the tips/names given so far -- keep 'em coming if you haven't chimed in. I love reading about some of these makers on their web sites.

Another question for choosing a maker, and I suppose for a bamboo novice, buying any bamboo rod -- how do you know whether a rod maker's style will suit you? I see a number of the makers mentioned (AJ Thramer, Art Weiler) make "replica" classics, such as Garrison or Leonard tapers. With no access to a Garrison or a Leonard, how do I know if I will like the rod? And for that matter, I presume no two rod maker's have the same idea of what a "medium" or "medium/fast" rod action should be. Suggestions?

DaveS,

When I talked with Bill Taylor about my quad boo rod, we spent a lot of time talking about my casting style, height/weight, etc. When I got the rod it fit me to a tee. There is nothing I would change.

E-mail some of the makers and call them on the phone. If you don't get a good feeling wait.

Best bet is to try to get to a Fish-In. A lot of folks bring their rods out for a casting session,that's how I got hooked on Boo in the first place.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

The only way to know for sure if you like a rod is to cast it. I will say this ~~ two of the best pure casting rods I have owned were made by A.J. Thramer. One was a Granger Special 8' 3/2 5 wt and the other was a Payne 100. Mike Brooks McKenzie series is a very nice casting rod series.

Chalk up another vote for John Channer. He made me one a couple summers ago on the advice of some of the folks in the bamboo chat here on FAOL. I really like it. I also own one by Mr. Thramer that gets a lot of use. My old Grangers are more or less riding the bench in favor of these two new rods.

DaveS,

One thing you might want to do is stop by the Bamboo Chatroom on Thursday evenings. Thee are several fine makers and lots of Boo users in the room. A ton of info available there.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default bamboo rods

I have a few rods and have cast many.
    The best way to find out what you like is to look for a bamboo gathering or event where many rods will be there for you to cast.
    Just post where you live and one of us will help you out.

BDC
    Bamboo rods were made to fish, so fish them.

BDC

+ Reply to Thread