+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Best fly

Default Your Best fly

What would you say was the best fly you have ever tied, your own pattern and proved a succcss every season? Details and pics would be good with instruction on fishing.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

For several years in the mid 1950's, I thought that I had invented a soft hackle fly for brim. I tied my fly on a cheap Mustad hook in size 8, 10, or 12. It had a short, dyed-yellow grizzly tail, a yellow chenille body, and a generous collar of webby, yellow grizzly hackle canted back toward the tail. It was and still is one of my favorite flies for brim. I was horrified to find that George Herter credited his son Jacques with the invention of the same fly in a red and white color scheme . How could I fight the owner of my favorite store? 8T

Sorry, no camera no pictures

I wish I could say it was my 10cent popper. I tweeked and tuned it for 6-7 years before I knew I was done.

Hook..1/0 mustad 3407
    Body..foam plug cut from lobster bouy foam with a 5/8" copper tube, then trimed and melted to shape
    Tail.. bucktail and flash, whipped into a bunch and then glued in a hole melted in the rear of the body

Cheap and simple, but most often it doesn't work nearly as well as a gurgler

My squid fly works better than it should, as it is much less involved that most other squid flys.
    Think a big deceiver only with a long, full, multi color collar and church window feathers tied in for eyes at the hook bend.
    It works extremely well.
    No one is more suprised than me
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

This would be my most successful pattern. I've been fishing it at least 10 years. It catches me trout and sunfish, and has worked here in PA, and in NY, VT and Ontario. I catch about 60% of my trout on this.

www.danica.com/flytier/jcaruso/wissahickon_midge.

i seem to catch alot of bluegill on just a standard mosquito dry fly pattern.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Philly, your link isn't working (at least for me) so we can't see your fly. I'm curious about you fly. Is a name and description possible? 8T

On most Northern Maine mud bottom ponds we have a hatch the locals call The Giant Green Drake. I had tried over the years to come up with an effective, easy to tie pattern for this amazing hatch. I tried extended bodies, giant classic style dries, and the biggest ugliest comparadun you have ever seen. About 10 years ago I was having pretty good results fishing a size 10 Royal Wulff during this hatch. My buddy and I were having a pretty fine week of fishing. We hit the hatch perfect. We thought we had the answer. On the last night of our vacation we shared the pond with an older gent who proceded to show us what fishing a Drake hatch could be. He caught (and released) 3 times as many fish as the 2 of us combined. He was catching Brookies on nearly every cast. Funny how you can go from happy and satisfied to feeling like a newbie in a couple of hours. As soon as the fishing started to slow we hauled @$$ to shore to intercept the old gent. We asked him what he was using and all we could get was "modified Hornberger".

So this fly started life as a Horberger and went downhill from there. This is the only pattern I now carry for the GGD hatch. I have had amazing results. I believe the Brookies mistake it for a drake emerger. As far as fishing methods go I fish it pretty much like a bass lure. Gink it up. Cast just beyong the rise and let it sit a couple of seconds. If no strike just twitch forward a couple of inches and let it sit again. That usually does the trick!

hook - Mustad 94831 #10 (or any 2xl 1 or 2 xfine)
    body - dark olive dubbing fairly heavy
    underwing - 8 or 10 yellow bucktail fibres
    wing - clump of woodduck streamer style
    hackle - brown dry fly grade (or dun or furnace or......)

Caddis16,

Thank you for listing your hook the way you did...[it's relative to another thread going on hooks].

Caddis16,
    It also looks a little like a St. Vrain caddis. Are there caddis on these ponds as well?
    Joe

Thank you for listing your hook the way you did...[it's relative to another thread going on hooks].
    I understand. It drives me nuts when someone lists some obscure hook and I have no idea what they mean. Looking at the hook in the fly I posted I doubt that it is even a mustad . Barb looks too small. Maybe an Orvis 1638?

It also looks a little like a St. Vrain caddis. Are there caddis on these ponds as well
    Yes there are. But this fly is used on a definite mayfly hatch. For caddis I use this style of fly

Crappy step by step here http://www.maineflyfish.com/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=5620

+ Reply to Thread