as fcch already knows, i fish a lot for brookies. one thing i have noticed is that in my area (or the streams that i fish anyway) the trout dont seem to spook that easy. maybe its the water color? the streams i fish are very dark. i would say that in 2 feet of water the sun would have to be shinning on the water for u to see bottom. seeing trout before i cast is something that hardly ever happens unless i see them taking a fly off the surface. if i dont see that, than 99% of the time i am casting into a place and not knowing if there is a trout in there or not. If it looks good, i cast to it and hope for the best.

i have another spot that i fish for brookies and it is a deadwater on the uper side of ducks unlimited project. the only way to fish is with a canoe, and we paddle up to the back side where the channel in some places is only 5 feet wide in its narrow parts and only 10 feet wide in its larger parts and on average 3 feet deep depending on water level. literly not enough room to manouver the canoe 180 degrees. now i would guess that the boat would spook fish, but even after we have drifted over a spot, we are still able to catch fish in the spot. again, its very dark water and maybe i am lucky to be fishing in darker waters.

nate