+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What furniture polish do you use?

I have never polished any of mine either. I just wipe with a damp cloth. I have to ask those that do polish, what the polish does to their line? If anything?

I clean my lines when I feel they need it but other than that I have never cleaned a rod. Never figured I had to. I guess it would be a good idea for Cane rods. But for the normal rods that I use I don't think they need it. I have a couple of glass rods that have to be 40 years old and have never even been wiped off that I know of and they are doing just fine. If a person wants to wax there rods I see nothing wrong with it but I do not believe it is nessary. Ron

PS: I should add here that I do wash off my saltwater rods, reels and lines everyday after there use. That is something that has to be done if you wish to have them very long.

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 27 May 2005).]

I have to clean my rods more often because I use them on some of the ponds nearby and they tend to get a little scummy on the guides and the line. After a little soapy water to clean both and dry them I spray a little pledge on a rag and wipe the rod only.
    It works great for me and the rod is slick and repells dirt better.

------------------
    You cant catch fish with your fly in the air!

I also fish ponds on occasion and they do make a mess of lines and rods.
    To clean rods I set them on a towel, spray liberally with 'Scrubbin Bubbles bathroom cleaner (it really does lift the grime off) then wipe off. I tried the silicone cloth several years ago and besides getting an inconsistant shine, learned that refinishing anything with silicone on it is a real challenge.
    Just recently started using automotive paste wax on my rods and wonder why I waited so long... it makes clean-up a snap.
    I know a lot of people go right for the polish to clean their rods but I always worried about trapping grime under the finish.

I happen to have my Sage warranty card in front of me and here's what it says under their recommendations:

"...
    -Periodically wax the ferrules lightly with paraffin to ensure a firm fit and proper function. ...
    -Completely air dry your rod ...
    -Occasionally clean your rod with warm water and soap and completely dry. Apply furniture polish to shine and protect the rod when done."

There are 5 or 6 other recommendations on there but they're pretty self explanatory and I don't feel like typing them all. But it looks like Sage actually *suggests* using polish, though I never have either.

[This message has been edited by preast (edited 27 May 2005).]

Having checked the Sage website, I've been using Pledge on all my rods after wiping them down. Keeps them looking good.

Regards

I have always been told doing that would cause you to go blind!

Norm

It's not the Pledge! Latest in the news says it's the Viagara!

Regards

But Reuel, we ain't talkin' about no nicks and scratches... and yup, we work hard to get that patina on our cork! We're yappin' about cleaning and polishin' fly poles. Too much scum and the line don't shoot.

+ Reply to Thread