+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cabelas fly tying kits???

I was in the local fly shop saturday (Pueblo, Colorado). This shop is not very big. If it were a bar, it would probably hold 5 bar stools and a pinball machine. When I go in there, they know me. They talk to me like I'm #1 patron. The guy talked me into buying some #28's for the high mountain lakes a couple of weeks ago. I made him a couple of Royal Coachmans. Boy will that test you. When I gave them to him, he made a big deal out of them. Everyone in the store (4 or 5 guys) heard him and checked them out. It made me feel like Gordon himself. You may not get that treatment at the bigger stores. I noticed that they had put together some starter kits. Pretty good stuff without a lot of things you may never use. I'ld suggest you try your local shop. They may put something together for you for a good price.

nmWebb,

I noticed that they had put together some starter kits.
    That's what I used to get started. Came in a Camo spinning gear box and Moe B had stocked it up with a servicable vice, stacker, etc and the materials to tye local flies.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:12d92]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:12d92]
    Christopher Chin

new2fly,

Check my post out on May 9th - the topic is Beginning Tying - What tools/kits?

I got a lot of good feeback but particulary the last post from Chub1.

I am ready to purchase the Cabela's kit that I think you are referring to.

Have fun

paff

fcch, how about when i get my tying gear i'll get ya to send the book. right now i am finding enough info online to read. thanks a bunch.

paff, let me know when u get your kit and tell me how u like it. i probably wont be getting one for a couple more weeks at least. i'll check your post on may 9th thanks

Nate,

No problemo .... Just drop me a line anytime (but starting in about 10 days, we'll be gone 2-3 days per week

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:997a1]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:997a1]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 24 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I started with the Randall Kaufman kit from Cabelas. The stuff was very good and it taught me the basics very well. I still use that vise because it holds a hook very well and I like the simplicity.

FWIW, my advice is don't think kit. Buy the tools you'll need. Then figure out the materials needed for the flies you want to tie and buy those. Don't tie less than a dozen of any fky before you move on to the next pattern.

I have the Cabela's beginners kit "Tying Western Trout Flies". Everything you need to begin tying is in the kit. It came with a detailed instructional booklet and video. The video was very helpful. The tools and materials are fine. The vise is ok but as a beginner it serves its purpose. It's an addicting hobby and I have already been looking into an upgrade in the vise category. When I purchased the kit I was afraid to get started. I went to a fly tying session by the local club and got some basic instruction on easy patterns. I'm now off and running. I still haven't used all of the materials provided in the kit but I'm working towards it. There are a few patterns I enjoy more so then others. I'm tying those a dozen at a time and becoming pretty profficient. The Cabela's kit, in my opinion, was a great purchase. Good luck.

i started about 18 months ago with the cabela's western trout flies kit as well. it was a good place to start with decent heardware, and for the most part the materials are good. the rooster feathers, however, left a lot to be desired. they were (and still are) great for wooly buggers, but pretty much stunk for tying dry flies. if you're planning to tie dries, you'll definitely want to invest in some quality necks or saddles. i also just upgraded my tool kit as well, and have the cabela's gear as back-up. good luck!

I've started my new students out with the simple Cabelas boxed traveling kit for years. Holds a hook extremely well, is convenient, especially for traveling (which it is designed for), and has the pertinent tools. I keep one in my pickup like someone might a spare tire. JGW

+ Reply to Thread