+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TFO question...

I've got several TFO rods, Pro series, TiCr, and Teeny series. My absolute favorites are my 4 & 5 weight TiCr's and my 6 weight Teeny. I've also got an 8 weight Teeny that I haven't had the opportunity to fish but it casts like a dream. Decide what rod weight you need and take your pick!! TFO's warranty is a thing of beauty as well. I've only broken one rod but they fixed it while my wife waited on day on her lunch hour and the warranty card was still in the mail!

Tx,

I own a 5wt professional series, love it but will never own another one. They are built overseas and I am on a buy American kick now.

I wish to keep us working, not them.

That said, good luck with your purchase!
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Chris...

I sort of understand your "buy American" thing...but it can get difficult.
    Do you own a cellphone? Where was it made?
    How about your TV...Bet you its not American....
    Most of your cloths....nope, not made here...wearing sneakers....once again not from here....
    One can get on a kick...but at least be consistent....

It's pretty hard to be consistent when cell phones and TVs are largely made overseas. That said, I own a TFO 8' 4wt series one, but I bought it used. Nice enough rod, definitely a good buy for what I paid.

Every rod I've bought new in the last few years has been made right here, not offshore. When the choice is there, and the quality is comparable, I like to buy American-made stuff, too.

Marty

I'm with Chris and Marty on this one. It's true, most everything we purchase now a days is made over seas, but if given the opportunity to purchase US made goods, i'll take it. Fortunately, there are still a lot of fly fishing products made here and those are the ones I go with.
    You could purchase a US made rod, for slightly more than the over sea's and have a much better quality product. Plus, you'd keep another American working. I like the idea that the person who made my fly rod has actually used a fly rod or at least knows what their used for.

Dont get me wrong...I buy and own American made products...
    St Croix, Lamson, Teton, Simms,...and many others.....BUT I also try to make sure I get bang for my buck.....

In this case I want an inexpensive faster 8wt for Steel. I fish an XP in 5wt, St Croix LU in a 4wt, BUT I fish them ALOT....no way I'm dropping that much coin on a rod that I will use 4-5 times a year...and most of the time I'm throwing heavy lead - it really dosent matter how it casts/feels/looks or who made it....

Not many American rods out there that fit the price/action/warrenty model that I'm looking for.

Ironcity, you could go with a St Croix Avid, Sage Launch or Fli, Scott A2, or an Orvis TLS or Clearwater. All made in the good ol' USA. Personally, i'd go with the Fli or A2. They definitely have a lot of bang for the buck.

None of the rods mentioned are fast enough...and some are more then the 2 bills I want to spend....

MM

My opinion is that you would be better off with a 7wt for steelhead. Not that it changes much, maybe even opens a few doors for you.

Marty

I like the 7wt rods.....I have an ECHO 7wt 10'..not fast enough....I want an 8...I want it faster...I want it cheap....

+ Reply to Thread