I have seen that description for fishing the crackleback, and although I use the fly a lot I still don't know what it means. Cracklebacks are used a lot at Bennett Springs, but mostly one way. They are fished subsurface with either a sinking line or with a floating line and pulled under and stripped in in short quick strippes. I caught my first trout there with this fly as a dry in the pool just above the dam there, and still use it as a dry fly sometimes, but mostly by stripping it underwater. One thing about this method, the strikes are NOT soft or easy at all. Most of the time they are real jolts that will easily snap 5x or 6x tippet. A Bennett Springs regular showed me how to use regular 4 or even 6lb florocarbon line instead of tippett and saved me a ton of flies and hooked lots more fish. Even this fall when the water was ultra clear he said that the fish couldn't see the heavier line while you were stripping it in, and we caught 20 or 30 fish a morning at the hatchery outlet stream mouth. If this skiping method is better I would love to know how also.