Quote Originally Posted by yonks311
Well I am definetely no expert at cross-country fishing trips, but I can tell you about a good experience I had.

My dad and I went to Colorado this past summer and did a bit of fishing. We did a guided float trip on the Arkansas River, through ArkAnglers in Buena Vista, CO. This was fun as the trip took us through Brown's Canyon and included some whitewater along with the fishing. Our guides name was Dan Howard and he was a great guy. The Arkansas also has plenty of public access, which we took advantage of to do some wade fishing. Within relativly short driving distance (1-2 hours) you have the South Platte, the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, and the Eagle. We fished the Eagle near Vail, the south platte in Eleven mile Canyon, as well as the "dream stream" section above Elevenmile reservoir, and the arkansas river through Browns Canyon, and then a section just north of Buena Vista.

We had a great time, caught lots of fish, and had beatuiful scenery. I'm sure some of the people on this board that live in CO could tell you more about those locations, but thought I would throw in my two cents. Oh, and we went in late July/ early august.

Of course if my wife told me I could go fishing anywhere in the US I would probably go to Alaska, just so I could say I had been there.

Good luck figuring this one out.
If your looking at somewhere in Colorado also consider the Gunnison River. My dad and I took a guided float trip on it last year through Dragonfly Anglers. The guide was great and we each caught a ton of fish (some big).

As for wade fishing I know they also guide a lot of wade trips on smaller streams or if your looking for something really amazing you can go on a three day trip in the Black Canyon. The guys at Dragonfly are great and will try and personalize the trip for what you want.