Quote Originally Posted by Mike Popick
I build all of my grips out of birch bark, I use gorilla glue and limit eacn ring to about 20 pieces, you have use wood end caps at the end of the grip because the bark flakes- once put together it is really tough - and light, the diference of weight is not noticible maybe 10%, I drill a 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8 hole in each ring depending on the butt size - then I place the rings on a threaded rod, tighten and turn - the neext step is very important -using a pencil draw line - I draw 4 lines 90 degrees apart the lenght of the grip, then number eac ring- dismantle and ream the ring to the butt and assemble by lining up the rings - reason for the pencil lines - you need a ring tool made up of wood and threaded rod to tighten the rings while the glue sets - you can treat the rings with tung oil or leave it alone- I have never had a problem with therings holding water.
Picture of a 6' 3" bamboo rod in progress - the winding check is from a deer antler, the final step is to sand the grip lightly to remove any glue from gluing on the rings -needs - Mike
[http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...1/DCP_1723.jpg[img]
Beautiful job, Mike. I love your reel seat too. Is the winding check slightly tapered?