+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: advice please

Hi
    Here is a site you may want to look at. I'm sure that the Salmon fly in Montana is a stone fly.

http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search ... University

Dean

I don't know if this will help. If you already knew just ignore me. When you are looking for info on the Salmon Fly what you want to look for is:

Order: Plecoptera (Stoneflies)
    Family: Pteronarcyidae
    Genus: Pteronarcys

This might help if you want to look on some of the more technichal/scientific websites.

Tight Lines,
    Adam

This will help. It it actual pictures of them and other information you will need. I am sorry, but you will need to read the whole series. It will be important.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/fliesonly/

Thank you all for you help and advice, it seems this fly is a big old so and so, 4 and 6's seem to be the popular sizes a bit different from the stuff I have used in the UK, Poland and Slovenia, Klinkhammers, Griffiths Gnats and Ducks Duns were the best patterns by far.

Richie, we did a bit of guiding there. If we can make your trip better, just ask.

Richie,
    Salmon Flies are great for catching trout, but the window of opportunity for using them is only a few weeks and WHICH couple of weeks???
    It's fun to watch trout attack Salmon Flies. I have heard that it takes the trout a while to eat their first SF'S, because their not part of their normal diet. Having regular size Stone Flies might be a good thing to bring with you.
    Dragonfly Nymphs also provoke trout to go crazy, mostly in lakes.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Richie: A tip of money is always a good choice. However, in addition you might consider bringing some Salmon Flies from the UK in a nice envelope as a jesture for a job well done. I was given some flies tied in Scotland by a good friend who came here to fish (from Montrose) and it was my extreme pleasure to show him around and provide advise. I still cherish those flies more than the dinner and beer he bought for me. I travel to Mexico to fish and use a guide. I always give a money tip but in addition I take along a USA Baseball team cap and give it to them from the start of the trip. The grin and exceptional service starts with that small jesture. Something to ponder. Good fishing, Jonezee

Hey Richie, First off you'll love Montana. Beautiful country. If you get there during the Salmonfly hatch be prepared to chuck and duck. Those suckers are huge. We go to Ennis every couple of years and you never know what you're gonna run into. Weather and fishing are both very changeble. Wait till you get there for flies. They will have some local favorites and we buy these huge salmonfly nymphs that I have not seen elswhere. Good luck you'll have a great time. Just don't hook the guide!

Mike

Thanks for the advice chaps, going to be fishing June 10th through to the 16th on the Bitterroot, Blackfoot and the Clarkfork Rivers, so hoping there wont be too much high water. Plus never fished from a moving boat on a river before, don't it on the lakes back here in Blighty, any hints?.
    RichieB:

The hatch here is usually around late June, Early July in Livingston, MT (making the 2nd to 4th of July here a great time to visit with the Rodeo and Parade and fireworks!). That is if the hatch is fishable as the Yellowstone River is not a tailwater (no dams).

Any way, it is a tricky hatch to catch. Sometimes too many variables to hit it right (including where on the river is the best to be. Have the fish not seen these huge monsters yet? Are they too full from eating them? Etc...).

And also, the Salmon fly (which is actually a stonefly) is not always the prime-time hatch. Usually we have lots of caddis and smaller stoneflies (Golden Stones, Yellow Sallies and Lime Sallies) hatching at the same time and they usually catch the most fish (don't forget some Elk Hair Caddis). I've basically never fished where you are heading too and I am only a 5 hour ride away. Isn't that a shame?

As far as fishing from a drift boat: Claim the front of the boat!! If you are fishing with a gal, the guide will try and put her in the front (if she has a nice backside) <BG> LOL!

Thanks for the tip about bringing some of our home flies across, I am a reasonable tyer but I have a friend here who is exeptional, not a pro but just as good, so a few home favourites may not go amiss. I realise that I may not arrive in the middle of the hatch but I am just looking forward to fishing for trout who look up!, many of our rivers here are suffering from lack of fly life, even our "Duffers Fortnight" the annual Mayfly hatch, Danica and Vulgata can be very hit or miss and more like three days rather than a fortnight (2 weeks). As far as I am aware I will be the only angler in the boat but I am not averse to a lady angler sharing (as long as she does not catch as many as me, although that may not be the case), you are all so lucky to have so much fishing at your finger tips and the sporting ethos that goes with it.

+ Reply to Thread