+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The almighty Wolly Bugger!

Default The almighty Wolly Bugger!

I snuck out for lunch today and did a few firsts. I did what I would call my first real ?moving water? fly fishing. I had to do a little mending and such (not as important because I wasn?t dead drifting anything). I also used a wolly bugger for the first time. Wow. In about 45 minutes, I caught 5 bass from 6-10 inches, and two more politely unhooked themselves with some jumps. I went to the big box last night and got a few buggers and a couple of leeches. Wow, wow, wow. I have always read very good things about them, but being the dumb butt that I am, it has taken me this long to get some. My bad!
    Plus, I didn?t fall in the river, and I didn?t even lose a new fly in the trees, shrubs, or rocks. All I all, a very good lunch hour!
    Austin: 70 degrees, light breeze, a few clouds... I knew there was a reason I lived here!
    Alan

neat time you had on the water! I know that a handfull of wooley buggers are always in my fly boxes wherever I go fishing.

shouldn't ever leave home without 'em, especially if you're going fishing!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Although I can't claim much expertise fishing them in streams, Longhorn, I love 'em for lakes up here -- and so do the panfish, bass, and, fished low and slow, even channel cats. My fly box has several colors and sizes, both regular and beadhead.

Wow! 70* I AM jealous!
    .....lee s.

It's hard to beat woolly buggers in a variety of colors, sizes, and weights. I always have buggers with me when I'm fishing. I have probably caught more big fish on the bugger than anything else.

7. Default

Hey Longhorn, they even work for us Aggies in East Texas ponds!

From what I have generally read, it seems they will catch anything, anytime, anywhere! Why oh why did I wait this long to get some!!
    But now I have some, so watch out anything with gills!!

Longhorn, Nice to see you city guys are doing what us country guys have been doing for a long time. Yep buggers work well, but there are many other pattern flies that work as good or better on our TX. waters. Try a Llano Bug for Guads. and bass, mini minnow patterns in white and gray with flashabou on the Colorado for both Whites and Crappies in the spring. Get out of that dang city and breath some clean air on some of our river systems. I ain't to par shale to city living.

Default Wooly B's & Llano Bugs

Interesting posts!
    My wife,son, and I fish on the Blanco not too far from Wimberley, and I have never had any luck with Woolies. The fish we catch there are Guadalupe Bass/smallmouth hybrids and sunfish, although we often see catfish and carp, occasionally the stray gar, but have never hooked one of the latter 3--I understand they are not prone to take a fly.
    Maybe I'm not fishing the Woolies correctly or just need to be more persistent--will give 'em a try again.
    Uh, er, what are Llano Bugs?

+ Reply to Thread