Carp are opportunistic feeders which eat vegetation , small invertibrates (nymphs), and minnows. But as is true with what are considered "the more nobler fish" (bass, trout,salmon), you still have to 'match the hatch'.

Flip Pallot was fishing for smallies, when he accidently caught a carp. He surmised that the carp had mistaken his fly for 'the maple seedling hatch'( those propeller-like seedlings) that come off mature maple, as they are vegetation feeders.

I fish the Erie/Barge Canal in NY, and frequently in the more populated areas, people will feed cracked corn to the ducks. As the ducks scramble about feeding on the floating surface corn, most of the corn breaks thru the meniscus and sinks to the bottom where it becomes available to the carp. Here , my most sucessful flys are tied on extra stout hooks to immitate cracked corn; 4 - 5 wraps of golden yellow chenille tied in an egg-like/glo-bug pattern. Also quite effective are small white muddlers(#10-#14), and glass beaded (amber,red) nymphs, and GBcopper johns.

Also , in populated areas where people feed the ducks, be on the look out for the 'breadcrust hatch'. This is easily immitated by electronics packing foam on a dry fly hook, with the edge colored by a marking pen. The carp will come up and float on their back to feed in the meniscus.

Sight fish for carp is easily done by looking for mud trails, and then throwing a fly a suitable distance ahead of the trail,depending on the strength of the current. Also, look for 'tailings' as you would for tarpon, because frequently in shallow water you might actually see the tail , or a sub-surface disturbance while they are in the shallows.

After you cast the fly, let it settle to the bottom, but hold on to the rod....many a rod has been lost to a slow reaction. When a carp picks up your fly, its like trying to stop a moving freight train, and the "take" may be subtle or it may be a heart stopper. They have a deserved the reputation as "Susquehanna bonefish" as their mouth is sensative to taste, and they can drop a fly in a heatbeat. They spook easily,especially while in the shallows, regardless of which hatch is on at the time.

I use a #7/8 wt, floating line,with 150 yards of backing which I use for salmon fishing here in NY. I've frequently gone into my backing, but only been spooled once !
My best canal carp was #28 pounds, and it was a 40 minute tugging match.

The carp deserves a better reputation than what it has; it is selective , cautious, and powerful; a real challenge to the fly fishemen.
Dadflyer