+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing in Fresno CA question

Default Fly fishing in Fresno CA question

I am going to be in Fresno for Christmas and my nephew wants to learn how to fly fish. So, naturally being the great uncle that I am, I told him ok I will teach him. I am really looking forward to it. I have already tied some flies for him and also have a rod and reel that he can use.

My question is, which fishes better in the Winter. The river below Millerton lake or the river below Pine Flat or is there someplace better within 45 mintues of Fresno?

Another question. Are there any fly shops in Fresno? I have not been able to find any listed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Paul

Paul,

Check the [url=http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2006/06freshfishregbook.pdf:ce253]California Fishing Regs[/url:ce253]. If you're downstream of Pine Flat on the Kings, you might be out of season.

The [url=http://www.fresnoflyfishers.org/:ce253]Fresno Flyfishers site[/url:ce253] has some links and other info that might help you out.

I am not aware of a dedicated fly shop in Fresno, but there are some area shops listed [url=http://www.dryflyfishing.com/californiashops.htm:ce253]here[/url:ce253]. [url=http://www.kiene.com/:ce253]Kiene's[/url:ce253] in Sacramento or Sierra Anglers Fly Shop in Modesto might be worth a call.

Eric

Eric,
    Thanks for the information.
    I looked at the regs and it looks like I will have to limit my fishing to the C&R sections of the Kings if I go there. No big deal to me since I do not keep any fish.

Paul

You might try the Northern Calif Fly Fishing Board there are quite a few guys on there from around Fresno.

I can help with some of your questions. The Kings River below the Pine Flat dam is open year round ~~ but check the flows as sometimes water is released from the lake. There isn't a real fly shop in Fresno but Herb Bauer's does have a fly section in the shop. If I were choosing one place to fish during the Christmas holidays it would be the Kings River below the dam ~~ but depending on the weather there might be crowds.

Thank goodness for locals

Rev Rob,
    Thanks for the info. I knew there had to be someone local to Fresno on FAOL. Local knowledge is the best kind.

I completly forgot about Herb Bauer's. I will tell my brother to check them out. It has been many years since I lived in Fresno. I have forgotten a lot of places there.

Even if there are crowds I am sure we will have fun.

Paul

The lower stretch of the Kings below the dam is catch and keep and is heavily stocked ~~ therefore it is heavily fished. The Kings and the San Juaquin below Millerton are the only rivers in this area open year around. The Kings above the lake is also open year around and is less crowded but takes a lot longer to get there from Fresno. If you choose to go above the lake figure a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive. You can go to the catch and release of the Kings above the lake (above Garnet Dike) but that takes even longer. That area isn't stocked and the fishing can be hard ~~ sometimes really hard.

You may also wish to check out Buz's Fly Shop in Visalia.

I will check them out. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread