+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to buy from

Default Who to buy from

Hi all, I've got a predicament(sp). Just opened a Sportsmans Wharehouse in our city. They have a large fly tying department with better prices than my local fly shop. I'm tempted to buy all my supplies from them but really appreciate the service at small shop. By the way, if your ever in Savramento area check out Kiene's fly shop. There, that should help with my consciounce. Thinking I'll bite the bullet on stuff they carry and just buy what they don't carry at Sportsmans. Anybody have thoughts on subject?

Mike

Let me ad even more. Many of the main manufacturers supply the small fly shop, also the big-box type and fly fishing overall. I tend to be very brand conscious and loyal, often buying where I can find exactly what I'm after.

Wise choice! When you need answears or advice, who will you to? We need all the local fly shops to stay in business. And NO I do not own a fly shop or work at one. I feel,(only an opinion),that the local owners are more in business for the love of fly fishing than going for the golden apple.
    I've never met a fish I didn't like

I love to shop at my local shop(s)...
    I have 3 here in Branson.. I spend money at all 3... plus there is one in Springfield Mo. that does carry a few things the other 3 doesnt... and then I have a wal-mart... hate going there... but every now and then it has something I need..

Just this year they add another fly shop.. The white river fly shop (yes bass pro)... and I go there 2...

Leonard

We also had a Sportsmans Warehouse open up close to us recently. They also have a large fly tying/fishing section. However the guys that work in there don't know much. A lot of times, I can find things better than they can so they are not much help in things other than working the cash register. They also have a huge display of Daiichi hooks. The problem with the hooks display, is that the hook types are all mixed up. All the 1120's are not next to each other so you have to search the entire display to find a certain size. It's terrible.

I have decided to keep supporting the local small fly shop. They are knowledgeable and helpful. So if a 25 pack of hooks is 50 cents more at the local shop than the warehouse store, that's fine with me. Considering how many hooks I buy in a year, it's not that large of price to pay to get some service along with the products I need.

The local fly shops know my name, what I fish for, etc etc. I don't think the guys at the warehouse store will bother to learn that from me. The price difference is not large enough in my mind to put up with the lack of knowledge and service.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I must also add...

once the fly shops get to know you..
    some will give a "local" discount..anything from 2 up to 15%... that all depends on how long you have shopped there.. and how long they have known you

Leonard,
    Ok. Time to stir up some s--t, and let the BASHING begin. You read my comments, and from these you can see that I am ALL for local fly shops being in business and always will BE! But I work for Wal-Mart and make a GOOD living working for them. They give me a chance to shop all my local fly shops. And whether YOU realize or not, Wal-Mart will save you money SO that you too can also support YOUR local shop. Don't believe all read and hear, and yes Wal-Mart is not perfect, but we can save the average American family money so they can support more American local businesses. OK, lets begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've never met a fish I didn't like

Nah ... I'm just way too old for this kind of stuff.

Shop where you want, get what you need. Support your local fly shop especially if they have what you need.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default fly shop

We lost our fly shop last November. I was employed there part time. They were also a good customer for my flies. Now I am unemployed trying to fine new fly customers to take up the slack. I do miss the customers that come in on a regular basis just to shoot the breeze.

A good fly shop is more than just a place to buy supplies. There are big box suppliers and mail order houses if the only thing you want is supplie. Dont expect the big box places to keep up to date on where the fishing is good or what fly is hot or bring in people to do one day seminars for their customers. Do fly shops charge more? On some things perhaps. Do they offer superior service. I think they do for sure.

Take care of the small fly shop. When they go, so does the added value they provide.

fishbum

I really don't see any predicament here. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket that you have no better use for, then pay more for the same item at your local shop. If you don't have extra money to throw around, buy the items as cheap as possible and spend the extra money on other items. I don't understand the supposed "need" to support local shops that simply will not compete with the market.

+ Reply to Thread