+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #@!$%& Marabou

Default #@!$%& Marabou

#@!$%& Marabou

Just when I am thinking I got this, the dreaded Olive Marabou Wooly Booger tail hits me. My problem is set out below, this is a direct quote from the tying instructions:

?3. Olive Marabou will be used to form the tail whose length will be the same as the shank of the hook. Attach to the top of the hook at the bend using the pinch method: one loose wrap and two tight wraps. Trim the butt ends.?
    Sounds simple enough, but NO not me.

1. Got the Marabou feathers and a sample fly.

2. The sample fly tail does not have the quill section of the feather in it. Does that mean to strip feathers off the quill.

3. The feather has a very stiff quill section to a very pliable section. Again, do ya strip or how do you use the stiff section.

4. What is the ?pinch method?. One loose and one tight, where and on what.

I am a lot lost in Olive Marabou land, please help!!!!!!!!!!

Default If I were tying it...

I'd strip the Marabou like you mentioned. The "pinch" method just means to pinch the marabou down near the bend of the hook between your thumb and index finger so you can tie it down at the rear of the shank. As far as loose wraps, I think they are referring to "soft loops" where you slip the thread between your thumb and index finger and do not pull taught until it's coming back towards you. This makes it less likely that the marabou will spin around the hook as you tie. I use way more than 1 soft loop too. I usually do several in different spots to secure the feather. You really can't do too many of them in my opinion.

Mark,

I think Gigante has answered your questions, however I would add that many people find it easier to work with maribou if you moisten it first. Once you have removed the barbels (feathers) from the quill, simply wet your finger tips with water and stroke the maribou feathers back. This makes them less fly-away and easier to work with. Take your time and soon you will be knocking out that pattern in about 3 minutes.

Good luck.

Jim Smith

Normand Guest

No!

Just cut a "V" notch in the tip of the maribou feather. Cut the flexible quill 1/2 to 5/8 inch down fron the tip of the feather. This will eliminate the "quill" and then you will only be tying in plumes of maribou. Stroke the remaining plumes toward the tip and tie in on top of the hook shank.

I agree that wetting the marabou helps. I also like this tip from the archives:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... rt134.html

I think it's much easier to leave the marbou on the stem to tie it in and then cut the stem off. You can stack multiple pieces together, depending on how full a tail you need.

Default The quill

Usually I don't cut anything until after I tie but I recently acquired some marabou with some very thick quills (the marabou is cheap stuff) and am having to pull off the feather first, then tie. If you have a good portion of flexible quill, tie it on first like the other guys said. I always wet mine too.

Mark,

Not all Marabou is created equal.

The marabou feathers you describe, with the stiff quill and relatively short (compared to quill length) barbs. While one can use these for tails on buggers, as described in previous posts in this thread, they are not generally recommended for use as tailing material.

Look for marabou described as Marabou blood feathers. These are much shorter feather plumes, without any noticable stems. The tips are already evene, and tying them in as the tail to this pattern is very easily accomplished, with minimal bulk at the tie-down point.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Pinch method is a way to attach materials to the top of the hook shank. I had a great amount of difficulty understanding this until I read an explanation by I think Skip Morris. Here's my best shot.
    Pinching the material to be applied between the thumb and index finger align to the top of the shank. Bring the thread up between the material and thumb tightly and pinch tight. Bring the thread down between the material and index finger and pinch tight. You should now have thumb, thread, material, thread and index finger pinched tightly and held directly on top of the position you want to apply it with the thread on the far side of the shank. Pull down sharply and firmly and the materials should be directly on top. Sometimes I'll start with the material just slightly to my side and may be a good place start.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Weilenmann
    Mark,

Not all Marabou is created equal.

The marabou feathers you describe, with the stiff quill and relatively short (compared to quill length) barbs. While one can use these for tails on buggers, as described in previous posts in this thread, they are not generally recommended for use as tailing material.

Look for marabou described as Marabou blood feathers. These are much shorter feather plumes, without any noticable stems. The tips are already evene, and tying them in as the tail to this pattern is very easily accomplished, with minimal bulk at the tie-down point.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    I agree that not all marabou is created equally. I strictly use bloods for all flies calling for marabou tails, and I inspect the packages before I buy them. If you make the mistake of buying marabou from craft stores, you'll quickly learn that they have the absolute lowest quality feathers, and the most mismatched, hodge-podge of junk I have ever seen (this is my experience only, you may have better luck, but I doubt it). This is another of those items best purchased in fly shops where you can inspect it before purchasing it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Mark - Perhaps this will help as well:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox ... arentID=41

+ Reply to Thread