+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing collection -- what to keep?

Default Reducing collection -- what to keep?

For years (30) I fished with one rod (Wright McGill Featherlight glass 6'6" 6 wt), then I began to explore newer rods and had for the last 12 years had to have more and therfore bought a liitle of everything. Now I want to keep a trout rod, a bass rod and saltwater rod. My question is which trout rod --a 4 wt (like the Winston 8' WT/IM6,the Scott G2) or a five wt (like the Winston 8'6" IM6 5wt). Most of my fishing is in Michigan, Northeasern PA and an once year trip to CA. As always I appreciate your comments. Dave

Spike,

Rather than try to categorize rods based on species or such, why not just keep a range of weights that will handle a variety of situations? Sometimes you can bass fish with a 3 wt., sometimes you need a 9. I've caught lots of trout on a 6 wt., but quite a bit on a 3 too. You may want a 9 wt. for pike and/or musky, but often a 6 will do the job.

If you only want three rods, keep say a 3 wt., a 6 wt., and a 9 wt. These will handle trout, panfish, bass, pike, musky, bonefish, redfish, stripers, salmon, snook, as well as smaller tarpon and sailfish (and lots that I'm leaving out).

I like this concept, but I prefer to not limit myself so much. At least one or two of everything from 1 to 9 is what I prefer (have lots of storage space).

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have had a number of rods and currently still have 12. When I was feeling the need to reduce I took them all to a large yard at the home of another fisher and good caster (for an objective second opinion). We cast all the rods. The ones that got weeded out were the ones that did not feel good to cast - were not fun, comfortable, easy, thoughtless. I still have 2 x 5wts, one stiffer and one softer, depending on my energy level/mood (and other similar duplicates). And of course you always can use a back-up. My suggestion is to avoid deciding in advance how many you will end up with and just get rid of the duds. You could cull again in 6 months or a year.

Why get rid of any? You have to realize that 90% of this pastime is the accumulation of stuff. "G"

Quote Originally Posted by lou t
    Why get rid of any? You have to realize that 90% of this pastime is the accumulation of stuff. "G"
    Boy, it's really hard to disagree with logic like that. I'm with Lou, keep them all. He who dies with the most toys WINS!!!!!!

I still have every fishing rod I have ever purchase over the past 40+ years, and when I look at them they all have special memories. I'll let my heirs disperse them when I go to that big trout stream in the sky.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Too many rods?

Spike,

I still consider myself new to this game. I haven't yet yielded to the temptation to acquire a high-end rod in any weight. I have purchased medium quality rods from a 3 weight to an 8 weight. Even at my moderate rate of "toy accumulation" I ended up having rods that I simply did not have time to use and besides I had other rods I like better.

A couple of years ago as I began trying to encourage others in this pastime, I found that giving away rods was really rewarding. For example, a fellow biology teacher and I presented a beginning fly fishing workshop at a teacher's meeting. After the workshop we followed up with a little fishing at the local pond. One person in particular, had all the signs of early addiction and his focus was intense. He was hooked deeply but I could tell that the financial burden of taking up the sport was a challenge. I know, it doesn't have to take much, but I believe me working in a rural school district in Kansas doesn't produce much in the way of discretionary income. I realized that he was using a rod that I hadn't picked up in more than two years. I was pretty sure that he wouldn't accept the rod as a gift, so I "loaned" it to him for the year so he could follow up on the workshop with continued practice. From his emails, I can report that we have another in the community, in fact he may be reading this post. I hope that as he acquires his own equipment that he passes the rod on in a similar manner.

For me it was as fun as catching a large trout. I've given away others, as well--works well for keeping my inventory down but from a selfish standpoint gives me an excuse to upgrade to the next level of rod when I go for a replacement.

BW

Hey spike, where in NE PA? Im in Jim Thorpe.

Warm Water

Hey WW
    Grew up in WB last trip was the Little Lehigh (was suppose to put in at JT but river was blown out in mid Sept. Will fish in Upper Lehigh near Thornhurst, the Lackawanna, Delaware, Laxawaxen. Also want to get back to Laurel Run
    Dave

ever fish mud run, or drakes creek? I'm only a few miles from them.

WW
    Not familar with those.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread