+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about vintage Pflueger reels

Default Questions about vintage Pflueger reels

Thought of some questions that has bugged me in the past but never took the time to post them here to see if I could get some insights from some of the resident historians. Does anyone know why Pflueger only made the old 1492's in a right hand retrieve/nonreversible configuration, while on their other 1490 series reels they made most of them reversible? Second question is a simpler one - Does anyone know the line wt ratings of the different 1490 series reels? Thanks.

Default medalist reel

Jim, sent ya a PM

Thanks for all the cool info Clyde. Still can't figure out why the 1492s weren't reversible, or why they didn't just make them in a LHW model. Would you have any info on what weight of line corresponds with which series of reel?

Default medalist reel

Jim, Dont know where Joe is. When he sees this hell jump in. Hes got a pretty good idea on reel line wts

Dear Jim,

I don't know this for certain, but I really believe that the line capacity specifications for Pflueger reels are based on using silk fly line. Even today, the capacities are way off.

Pflueger lists a 1494 as having the capacity for a DT5 and some backing. That is totally wrong, you cannot fit an entire 90 foot DT5 line on a 1494 with no backing unless you wind it on with the precision of a parachute packer.

As far as your 1492 question goes, I don't think anybody has a good answer for that one.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

i have a 1494 with a 6wt and backing. never had a problem getting the line on the reel at all I am extremely sloppy. Would not reccomment anything higher with a light weight pole as the reels weigh a little heavy

I totally agree with Avalon. Pflueger VASTLY overestimated how much backing/line would fit on their reels. My estimate would be as follows:
    1492-2or3wt
    1494-4wt
    1495-5-6wt
    1496-7wt
    1498-9wt

Of course, there are also the 1/2 models that have a wider spool and allow for more backing/line. I've got a WF5 line on my 1494 1/2, a DT6 on my 1495, and a WF7 on my 1495 1/2.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Here's some pics of my 1494 with a DT5F and approx. 50 yds of 20lb Gudebrod dacron backing.

Dear Heritage Angler,

I'm wondering if the vintage reels had a larger diameter arbor than the more modern reels?

All my Pflueger's are DA's or older. I have a 1494 DA with about 25 to 30 yards of backing and 60 feet of a DT5 on it and it's stuffed to the gills.

How'd you work your magic?

When we going fishing?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Hi Tim - I'm guessing you're correct on the vintage vs. modern Pfluegers. I'm free on Sunday and Monday if you'd like to fish. Was supposed to go up to Pulaski tomorrow for some steelie fishing, but my buddy had his kitchen pass revoked, and I wasn't into the 4 1/2 hour drive solo thing. Email me or call if ya wanna feesh......Ed

P.S. - I'll be in the woods out of cell range tomorrow for the last day of early muzzleloader season, so you can leave a message on my home phone voice mail or call after 9pm.

+ Reply to Thread