+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Stealth wadingg soles

Default Aqua Stealth wadingg soles

Has anyone tried the new Stealth soles? If so, how do they compare to felt and can you replace them? Thanks,
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

raw69:

I guess I'll pick this post to respond to...

First of all when you say new, is there a NEW Aquastealth out there because Aquastealth has been around for quite a few years now. My experience is with the only Aquastealth I am aware of.

I have both studded and regular Aquastealth on wading shoes. They work great...

...in some places with the studded working best in most places. They definitely don't work as good as felt or studded felt respectively in my opinion. They are not so great on really slippery rocks but again the studded have the advantage here.

I use them most on a stream I fish regularly where the bottom is a combination of small rocks, gravel, sand and silt. I don't use them on really rocky streams and if I do, I would opt for the studded variety ONLY!

A big advantage to them is your shoes dry out quickly and you don't carry waterborne pest from location to location. They wear well, are great for hiking in and out and can be replaced as easy as felt.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: Aqua Stealth Soles

I've been using Aqua Stealth soles for the last 3 years, and wouldn't use anything else. The soles don't pickup NZ mud snails, although the boot may. They don't freeze and pack up with snow like felt does when winter fishing. They provide excellent traction on stream side rocks and boulders, and generally hold well on most wet surfaces. They're good on trails when walking, and you can add cleats to them if needed. You can't replace them like felt, and they do wear over time.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Dear raw,

I agree with the posts from Bamboozle and Grizzly Wulff about the performance and other advantages of Aqua Stealth.

I only have a studded pair of Aqua Stealth wading shoes and for the rivers I fish it's the only way to go, non-studded Aqua Stealth boots would be ankle breaking misery. I will echo Bamboozle's comment that they do not grip as well as studded felt on the streams around here.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Default Thumbs up

I have also used the Aquastealth and agree with previous posts. They also have the added traction and durability for the hike or approach to the fishing waters. I have not used studs and have not found a problem with traction yet (not fishing on ice). I am fishing sandy/bouldered, and muddy/silty stream beds rivers and lakes.

If I was younger and fished more, and more varied waters, I would use a boot with several soles available. Such as one for trekking in, then options for in the water. If my choices of fishing places were limited I might choose a single sole type for the waters I fished most.

I use Aquastealth. I've added a few studs (screw-in type) that have helped traction on slimy/mossy rocks. I've found that about 6 studs in each sole is about right.

I wade rocky streams, and often hike a bit to get into the fishing spot. The Aquastealth has worked well while wading, and is much better than felt for hiking in and out.

Default Re: Aqua Stealth Soles

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Wulff
    You can't replace them like felt...
    GW:

Not trying to be contradict you but what is the problem with replacing Aquastealth? I've added it to shoes and replaced it on others. Barge Cement did the trick in both cases and was easier than felt to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    If I was younger and fished more, and more varied waters, I would use a boot with several soles available. Such as one for trekking in, then options for in the water. If my choices of fishing places were limited I might choose a single sole type for the waters I fished most.
    Ya mean like Korkers Konvertables? That's why I got them, not 'cause I'm younger, but the second part...about fishing varied waters. .

Bamboozle, I know you are going to say you have had no problems with the Korkers and I know they are a SPONSER, but I have close friends and met others that say when squatting to let fish go, the soles pop out of the craddle. Anything on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    Bamboozle, I know you are going to say you have had no problems with the Korkers and I know they are a SPONSER, but I have close friends and met others that say when squatting to let fish go, the soles pop out of the craddle. Anything on that?
    FG:

I can honestly say this hasn't happened to me. I fish a lot of small creeks and typically wade as shallow as possible so I do the squat/bending thing a lot. It sounds like POSSIBLY the strap on the back isn't tight enough. I cinch mine up pretty tight. There is a re-design coming next year although I THINK it only involves the strap system.

+ Reply to Thread