+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Bend 346 3/2 9' rod section needed

Default South Bend 346 3/2 9' rod section needed

Dear All:

I have one of these rods - an inheritance from my step-grandfather - it is a three piece, two tip rod. Unfortunately the middle section was broken at the top ferule somehow. I am hoping that I can find a replacement section so I can try to use it so I can fish the rod. It is in reasanably good shape otherwise and I know with a swapped in middle section it may never be a collector's item, but I think it'll be a serviceable rod. The section is at least 4 inches shorter and a guide is missing. Joe on the classifieds suggested a fix, but I think there may be too much missing.

Randy

Any help out there?

Randy

Hey Randy,
    It shouldnt be too difficult to find a mid for your rod. You will need to find out which ferrules it has as they could be a little difference in them based on what the rod was built to handle.

Dleo:

How do I tell one type of ferrule from another? The rod is a SB #346 9' 3/2 HDH rod.

Thanks

Randy

Randy,
    do you have a micrometer to measure the slid on the male ferrule of the tip section. I have a couple of 346's and they are both different.

I have a friend who makes rods and I think I saw one on his bench. I'll get a reading. Is the measurement the diameter at the end of the male ferrule on the tip piece or diameter at the base of the ferrule on the tip piece?

Thanks.

Randy

Randy, if you measure the slide, that is the part that goes into the female ferrule, you should be able to match it pretty easily.

Leo

Leo:

The top ferrule is missing, but the measurement of the tip ferrule indicates that it is an 11/64 female ferrule. The bottom ferrule is a male ferrule measuring 9/32. Do you have any 'parts' rods with a mid-section with ferrules of those dimensions? If so, I'd like to talk to you about it!

Thanks.

Randy

Hey Ranhy,
    I don't have just a mid section that would work for your Shakespeare. You may want to check with Mike Longuil in Jew Jersey. He has a huge selection of ords and parts. Sorry I don't have one

Dear All:

I am still looking for this piece. The rod is a South Bend Rod, Model # 346, 3 piece/2 tip 9' model. The rod is flamed. The mics on the ferrules on the broken mid-section are .281 (9/32) for the bottom male ferrule of the mid section and .171 (11/64) for the male ferrule on the tip that would go into the top female ferrule on the middle section. The top female ferrule on the middle section is missing so I had to measure the tip.

Anyone out there able to help?

Thanks.

Randy

Sorry to hear that you haven't found one yet. Here is Mikes contact information if you haven't found it yet.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1wz7o/bamboomike1.html

+ Reply to Thread